Greetings from Vail, Arizona

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all! This is Stephanie.
I live with my husband, Mark on a single desert acre about 20 miles east of Tucson, Arizona in a small town called Vail. He bought this place about 3 years ago because he didn't want neighbors living on top of him. Other than putting in a driveway, clearing a pad to set a doublewide MH and building a small shed out back, he really didn't have any plans other than to "live" here, and I use the word "live" in the loosest sense of the term since he spent as little time here as a person possibly could and still claim it as a residence.
And then came me and I moved in on June 8th, 2008. Sice then we have built 3 chicken coops which house a total of 25 hens and 6 roosters (not including the babies that still live inside the house). The hens provide us enough eggs to eat, sell & incubate. Ever.y few months or so we thin the flock and put chicken in jars
We have 2 goats; Annabelle is an alpine that I acquired last March with a rip-roaring case of mastitis that took months to heal. Lets just suffice it to say that Annie's days of being a productive dairy goat are over. But she's such a wonderful personality that I wouldn't part with her for the world. Fortunately, I had the forsight to purchase Annie's daughter, "Emily", who is an alpine/boer X. I intend to breed her back dairy and cheesemaking is definitely in my future.
We have tried our hand at pigs and successfully put one in the freezer last spring. We pick up our second one from the butcher in a few days. There isn't anything like home-raised.
We have a garden which is no small feat in this alkaline soil but having discovered the joys of composting, the biggest obstacle is water (they don't call it desert for nothin') We still haven't been able to set up a rain water collection system to take advantage of the monsoon. :( We are discovering that we can grow about anything here but whoever puts "full sun" on the seed packets has never lived in Southern Arizona!:lol:
Mark and I both drive dump trucks for a living which is anywhere from 8-50 hours per week in this horrible economy, and is a big part of the reason we find it so important to get back to basics. I can't always be sure I can afford to go to the grocery store anymore! And the price of fuel? okay, it's better here than it was a year and a half ago but don't get me started! My Peterbuilt doesn't run on water... but if all goes well, Mark will (in the near future) have our SUV converted over. I don't understand a word he says about it, but water is cheap compared to gas and deisel so I'm excited!
My hobbies include quilting and well, quilting.
Oh and lest I forget... I'm also the proud mama of Champ, who is an English Bulldog and Bella, an American Bulldog. I am step-mama to Scooby the German Shepherd and Abu, THE cat.
I've been a member of sufficientself.com for a whole day now (24 hrs) and must admit that I find it rather addictive!:) I guess I came here hoping to offer something and what I found is that I have ALOT of catching up to do just to keep up with all of you!:bow You guys are amazing!!! I'm so happy to have found you and look forward to tapping into your vast wealth of knowledge and experience.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Welcome Stephanie!

As you probably noticed, there are some wonderful people here and they have a lot of experience and knowledge. I had always considered myself fairly well read in the SS area, but I have learned so much from the gang here, that it is quite humbling.

So jump right in and take advantage of the friendship and know how. It's always great to see a new member on the board.

Again, welcome!
Mark

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Welcome! You sound like you are in a good place right now.
We are all at different stages, and there are several reasons why we do what we do.

but one thing we can all do is learn from others, and offer help so others can learn.

:welcome

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome!

I would love to see pictures of Annie and Emily if you find the time!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Welcome!

I would love to see pictures of Annie and Emily if you find the time!
I would love to post pics of my gals and the rest of my crew... ummmmm, how does one go about doing that?:idunno

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
there is an "uploads" button up top, right next to recent posts. Just resize them, cuz alot of us have very slow internet :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score

I just started quilting this year (loose sense of that word). Mostly I do lap quilts tied with yarn in the center of the blocks. I am hand quilting a bowling theme one and hope to have it finished by Christmas.

You will find a great deal of knowledge and experience on this forum. Everyone here is wonderful and so helpful.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome Stephanie!!! You sound like you have a great place. There is a ton of great information on the forum and your right it's addictive. :D I would love to hear more about your rain water collection system when you get it going. I am not in Arizona but southern Ca is very dry as well.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
punkin said:

I just started quilting this year (loose sense of that word). Mostly I do lap quilts tied with yarn in the center of the blocks. I am hand quilting a bowling theme one and hope to have it finished by Christmas.

You will find a great deal of knowledge and experience on this forum. Everyone here is wonderful and so helpful.
Yaaaaay!!! A fellow quilter!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome.gif
FROM TUCSON!!!

Glad to see you are here!! It is good to have others who live here in the unbearable heat of the summer, and our wonderful winters!!

I have enjoyed being here. Are you also on Backyard Chickens? or the Easy Garden forum? I love them all!!

Hoping for lots of rain this weekend!!
thundercloud.gif