Grilled Mexican Pizzas

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made these on our charcoal grill last night for dinner and had to share this recipe because they were absolutely delicious! I didn't measure out the ingredients, but it's pretty simple.

Grilled Mexican Pizzas

Sprouted corn tortiallas
lard
herbs and seasonings of your choice (cumin and oregano would work nicely)
Shredded Cheeses of your choice (I used sharp cheddar, provolone, and parmesan)
Meat topping (like shredded chicken, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, whatever you like)
sliced olives

Lay the tortillas out on some cookie sheets. Spread a thin layer of lard on one side, and then flip them over. Sprinkle the herbs/spices onto the tortillas. Then sprinkle on the shredded cheese. Add the meat, and olives. Place tortillas on grill rack about 6" above hot coals (you may have to cook in batches depending on how big your grill is) and close the lid. Grill for about 6 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the tortillas are crisp.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Holy Cow! :drool Where does one get sprouted tortillas? I'm still a few months away from my own corn harvest!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Holy Cow! :drool Where does one get sprouted tortillas? I'm still a few months away from my own corn harvest!
They have them in the freezer of the organic/health food section at my local grocery store. They have sprouted corn tortillas and sprouted whole wheat tortillas. I suppose you don't have to use sprouted grain tortillas, I just like to.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I rarely buy grain products unless they are sprouted....I'll have to have dh look for them where we get the sprouted bread. I rarely grocery shop....I screech too much at the prices. :p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:drool
I never would have thought to try that on the grill.....

I've made something similar in the oven, but using regular pizza dough. I added a healthy helping of chili powder in the pizza dough. It got inhaled pretty quickly!

Yours sounds leaner and healthier though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I make a masa Harina crust for gf pizza already, but have never done the grill!

Free, I just noticed the sprouted ones in our health food grocery a couple weeks ago too. Must be fairly new to the market.
I remember Sally Fallon lamenting that no one made them yet, a few years ago.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've never seen the sprouted ones. Sounds interesting.

BB, what did you put in your masa harina dough? I wanted to try that but don't know the proportions.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I've never seen the sprouted ones. Sounds interesting.

BB, what did you put in your masa harina dough? I wanted to try that but don't know the proportions.
measure out the amount of flour you want, sprinkle on some salt, and then add hot water. stir and knead, and add more hot water asneeded, ti n=make nice dough.
Make tortillas!

Latest posts