Grit magazine backyard bread oven

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so wild H23

I have been researching clay, brick, earthen mud, etc. etc. on the internet lately. I want one in the back so I can use it for emergencies and having a good time experimenting with it.........

there are SO MANY options out there to build an outside oven it is amazing. I haven't decided how to go yet, but I sure have Carolina Red Clay by the tons here..LOL...my clothes, shoes, and floors show that..HA HA

they can be so simple or they can be so elaborate.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
waahhaaa I want one of those!

They always seem so easy and cheap to make. But if I made one, I'd have to buy all of the materials. It seems like I don't have a drop of clay on my property (or sand for that matter.) It's all crumbly black dirt.

Plus, the foundation. Whew. What did they say they used? About 4 of those concrete blocks. What are those? About $3 each? blech.

If I could figure out how to build a good one by mounding up dirt, I would do it. LOL But the rain would probably wash it away. :p

I am still looking, though. One day I shall have one!! (hoo-ah!)

ETA: I meant to say FORTY blocks not four.

Cassandra

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean! I'll have to have my husband scavenge cinder blocks from the dump although the article says you don't have to raise it up that high. It can be built on the ground. The clay is the real problem here!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
:smack To quote Cassandra -It seems like I don't have a drop of clay on my property (or sand for that matter.) It's all crumbly black dirt.

Go ahead rub it in- Let's see- I have maybe four inches of pathetic topsoil, under which is a three foot layer of mixed rocks and clay under which is something that wants to be sandstone but can't quite get it together.

The only reason that there is so little standing water is that it's all on a slope. :hit I want Cassandra's soil.......................

PS your best bet for clay is down by a creek or river.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
:smack To quote Cassandra -It seems like I don't have a drop of clay on my property (or sand for that matter.) It's all crumbly black dirt.

Go ahead rub it in- Let's see- I have maybe four inches of pathetic topsoil, under which is a three foot layer of mixed rocks and clay under which is something that wants to be sandstone but can't quite get it together.

The only reason that there is so little standing water is that it's all on a slope. :hit I want Cassandra's soil.......................

PS your best bet for clay is down by a creek or river.
Hmmm....thanks for the tip. Don't have access to one of those either.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That may be a fun weekend adventure for me and or hubby and the kids. My mom's family lives way out in the country. I remember digging clay out of the ditch to play with when I was a kid. Might be worth a look-see.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all crumbly black dirt.
yea I am jealous of her soil also.
my whole state is red clay. the entire state could be an oven..LOL

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We want one of those sooooo bad. Can't quite find the time to make it. Maybe next summer.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was hoping that by next year I could build some kind of outdoor huge fire place with an oven on top. I wonder if this, or some adaptation of this would work? If anyone builds one please share!!!!