Grit Magazine cheese press

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are some problems with that design....let me get mine photographed and posted before you leave that article on dh's pillow... :p Mine is made from scraps, I made it while the first batch of cheese was culturing (dangerous, I know, but that is usually how I operate...deadlines! :lol: ) so I know your dh can make a version that looks nice by using nicer woods and remembering to center things.... :rolleyes:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of cheese presses, MissPrissy from BYC has a nice homemade one on her blog. I think we're gonna give it whirl when it comes time. I just have to butter up hubby first 'cause he's the one with the shop skills. I'm all thumbs and can't add 2+2 when it comes to carpentry :p It's a mental block I need to get over.

I would go OFG style, but we don't buy cat litter :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! aint that right! hee hee hee

Henny - here's my hillbillied up version of a fancy press:

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/09/cutting-cheesecurds.html

i'm telling you - it totally works and cost of goods = $0

we got some weights - the kind you slide on barbells when we had to move someone and they were left behind. i never in a million years thought they would end up being used like this - but its easy to regulate the weight that way - or heck, just get another bag/bucket of kitty little.

at some point tho - i'll just build one. for heavens sakes, i can frame in the chicken coop you'd think i'd get off my tools and made a good press.

;-)