Grow My Own Hull Less Oats! GRAIN pg6!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, this will be my journal for growing my own oats. There isn't much to say at this point, I just planted them today! I will come back with updates from time to time until harvest, then I will post what I do with them and how I prepare them to eat. This is my little experiment to see if I can indeed grow some of my own grains. I like oatmeal and when I bought my Family Grain Mill, I also bought the flaker attachment. If I achieve success, then I will try other grains as well. Aw heck, even if I fail miserably, I will still try other grains!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Ok, this will be my journal for growing my own oats. There isn't much to say at this point, I just planted them today! I will come back with updates from time to time until harvest, then I will post what I do with them and how I prepare them to eat. This is my little experiment to see if I can indeed grow some of my own grains. I like oatmeal and when I bought my Family Grain Mill, I also bought the flaker attachment. If I achieve success, then I will try other grains as well. Aw heck, even if I fail miserably, I will still try other grains!
Hull less oats? how do they attach to the straw?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting I have always wanted to grow my own grains. Can't wait to see how this turn out. :caf

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Interesting I have always wanted to grow my own grains. Can't wait to see how this turn out. :caf
Same here. How big is your plot?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
~gd said:
baymule said:
Hull less oats? how do they attach to the straw?
Duct tape??? :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've eyed hullless oats for years. I think it's to wet here to grow them.

Keep us updated on how it goes and how well their taste annd texture is.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It rained on them last night, the plot is 4'x8' so it is kinda small. I have been wanting to try them for a couple of years, so here goes. We'll all learn about this together.

mlongworth

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you get your seed from? I have them on my list to get from bountiful garden but they are for bunnies and chickens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
mlongworth said:
Where did you get your seed from? I have them on my list to get from bountiful garden but they are for bunnies and chickens.
I got them from Bountiful Gardens. They are not just for bunnies and chickens, you can eat them too!