Growing BOSS for Feed

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BOSS is expensive enough that it would be well worth growing. If my chickens liked it better I'd grow them.

Hmm maybe if I leave them on the head they would like them better. That would probably draw in the silkies at least.

paint a rat on them...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Your research skills are awesome! I took a quick look and didn't get as far as you did.

Heck - I plant sunflowers and they don't grow. They fall out of the bird feeder and they grow like crazy!
The chipmunks buried a few seeds in my empty pot...

Attachments

• 20211013_115526.jpg
    20211013_115526.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 138

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I will just buy a bag of BOSS bird seed and feed extra to my chickens!

After reading the extension documents, my plan is to plant in north-south rows and broadcast white clover seed to fix nitrogen for the sunflowers. I also plan to broadcast Bt corn cob (Mosquito Bits unless I can find something cheaper) to prevent and control sunflower moths.

That was so much easier than I expected. Now to transfer it to my calendar and remember to actually do it. :gig
When feeding BOSS to chickens, remember that it is a low protein high fat food. Feed it as a treat only. The total of all treats should not be more than 10% of the total diet.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Feed BOSS with mealworms....fat & protein. :lol:

I have had sunflowers grow beautifully when tossed in the grass...chickens missed eating some. They get about 6-7' tall. Lot of flowers on each stalk. My goats will eat the young plants...so have to fence them off. But they're very pretty.

Latest posts