Growing Catnip for Cats

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My cats love catnip. I want to grow it for them. They are primarily outdoor cats, so I want to try growing it as an indoor potted plant. I bought seeds online and put them in the freezer.

Has anyone grow catnip for cats? How did you do it?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Our cats snubbed the plant I grew in a container in the living room. Would not go near it.

Transplanted outside, destroyed by the second morning. Lol

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Our cats snubbed the plant I grew in a container in the living room. Would not go near it.

Transplanted outside, destroyed by the second morning. Lol
Our cats 100% indoor. The neighborhood beasties destroyed the plants

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grew cat grass once for our cats. It was a clearance packet of seeds that I bought on a whim.
I sprouted them in a small pot and let them grow to be about 4" tall. One of my cats ate it all the first time I put it out for them and proceeded to throw it up all over the house. Never again.

I found some wild catnip once and took it home for the roomated cat. Cat ignored it - my husky ate it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found out that catnip is invasive here. 5+ foot tall plants about 3-4 foot diameter. You can dwarf them by growing in a pot. If you let them go to seed outside, they come up everywhere. My chickens won't touch it and I'm always digging plants out of their run.

My male cat likes only crispy, dry catnip. My female prefers only fresh growing tips. Neither of them goes for it on a regular basis.

The growing plant can have a rather strong odor when brushed against.

Cats get high off valerian root as well. Even cats that don't react at all to catnip. I had a cat who didn't react to catnip once and got some root. Every now and then I'd let her play with the root for a bit. It was stored in an airtight container because I can't stand the smell.

Latest posts