Growing chocolate mint

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone grow chocolate mint? I have a plant that I want to put in a pot, but I've been dumping my coffee grounds in this pot because I'd been planning to plant a blueberry bush in it. Will my mint plant be okay in this pot with all that acidic soil?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have chocolate mint but it is in a raised flowerbed. The bed is 2x6 and I planted 2 little plants in there. In just a couple months, it grew like crazy and has totally taken over that bed. Since it was a new bed, I used topsoil and peat moss so I don't know about the coffee grounds or anything.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Not sure. I can tell you it's one plant I can't kill! I had some in a pot behind my garage. It has spread through the bottom of the pot and pops up all over the place back there now. I love it when I'm out there and brush through it unexpectedly and get that smell.
The dogs trample it, pee on it, you name it! Doesn't really answer your question, but it is a tough plant.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I doubt the coffee grounds will be a problem. It's kind of hard NOT to grow chocolate mint! :gig

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had some once. But, it died. :( Maybe I need to get more in case we run out of chocolate. :cool:

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like it'll be okay. I can't wait to have enough to dry so I can make some tea. Thanks for your input, everyone!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
Sounds like it'll be okay. I can't wait to have enough to dry so I can make some tea. Thanks for your input, everyone!
I haven't grown chocolate mint, but mints, as a whole, are very tough plants; It takes a lot to get rid of them once they are established, and, I imagine, they will establish happily most anywhere, provided that they have enough water. You are aware, aren't you, that you don't have to dry the plant for tea? Dried is great for future use, but if the plant is growing well just grab a handful of leaves, stick them in a teapot, and cover with boiling water. There you have it, mint tea.