growing grains for animal feed

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope I can get some help here...

we are on 2 acres,I raise 15 head of goats,and about 25 layers.

This year in the garden I planted extra for feed for them, but would love to grow some grains to offset my feed cost during the winter.So I have been looking into different grains, (we do corn already) trying to figure out which ones would work on a small scale and be worth it. Some the ones Iam looking at are -amaranth,millet and ,maybe teff-

so my other question is has anyone raised these and if so was it for goat feed? or chicken feed?

Thanks

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sunflowers are well worth your while to look into, easy to grow, and high in protein. You may look farther from grains and try root crops like magels, carrots, etc. for goat feed. I saw that somewhere. I'd like to grow mangels and carrots for my cow. You can also sprout grain for your chickens, rabbits and goats. It is extremely easy to do and high in protein.

MuttlyCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My DH is looking into diffract types of Grasses to be hayed for the goats right now but never thought about planting grain mmmmmmm. If you want I can ask witch kinds he is really looking into (he looks at all kinds when it gets down to the final few we talk more about it and decide.) I know he is talking to the guy at K State that does the goats there and also the guy at Lansten University in Ok.

Stacy

Ps you can also contract either of them from the schools web sites. Thay have been really good at answering all of our questions.

Stacy

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day, how about you contact your local Ag office and ask what grains a re grown in your area.Years ago we grew Sorghum for the goats.We had a garden tiller and only made the cut a little wider than the wheels,ran the tiller along and planted the seeds in the wheel tracks and lightly covered the seed with a rake .Just a thought ,it may be worth trying..................T.O.R...................

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for replies,

We already do root crops for all the animals(including us lol)and sunflowers.

Our pasture does have different grasses, but we don't cut and bale it,just used for grazing.

I'ev been in contact with ag office, and most stuff will grow here .

Maybe i will just order some seeds and try different ones on a small scale.

Again thanks so much for all our info.