Growing mushrooms?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I've read up on this as I really want to try it. Basically you cut fresh oak(or hardwood) logs and buy spawn plugs and you drill into the log and pound the spawn plugs in. I've read both ways too.. some seal the plug with wax and some do not and then they stack them up off the ground and keep them damp in the summer(I'm sure it should be in the shade) during hot dry spells and in a year or a bit more they should start to fruit. I know that north of me here in Michigan is a small company that is growing them commercially(saw it on one of the pbs cooking shows just in mi.) and to me that means it should be able to do them as experiments here for me.
Now that being said -I'm sure that there is a bit more to it than that.. like how many plugs for log and how damp and etc...
There are so many blogs and sites on growing mushrooms that you kinda have to read them all and then piece together which technique would work best for you.
Can they grow in a dry climate? Our humidity levels are around 9% Could I put the hardwood and plugs in a plastic tub, keep the lid on it, and keep it dark, cool, and moist?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
Emerald said:
I've read up on this as I really want to try it. Basically you cut fresh oak(or hardwood) logs and buy spawn plugs and you drill into the log and pound the spawn plugs in. I've read both ways too.. some seal the plug with wax and some do not and then they stack them up off the ground and keep them damp in the summer(I'm sure it should be in the shade) during hot dry spells and in a year or a bit more they should start to fruit. I know that north of me here in Michigan is a small company that is growing them commercially(saw it on one of the pbs cooking shows just in mi.) and to me that means it should be able to do them as experiments here for me.
Now that being said -I'm sure that there is a bit more to it than that.. like how many plugs for log and how damp and etc...
There are so many blogs and sites on growing mushrooms that you kinda have to read them all and then piece together which technique would work best for you.
Can they grow in a dry climate? Our humidity levels are around 9% Could I put the hardwood and plugs in a plastic tub, keep the lid on it, and keep it dark, cool, and moist?
You could try it but they do need moisture to grow consistently from what I've read.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sleuth said:
I wish there were more reliable ways of growing morels.
ME TOO!:weee They are my favorite wild mushroom.. some years I get enuf of them out of my back yard to eat and dry a few for later and some years we get.. two.. if that. there are years that they do well and you can find them everywhere and other years you can't find a one. the morel kits are useless(and costly) I had the best flush after a small load of wood chips from a friend got put out on my flower garden paths.(shade garden) they popped up everywhere.. but only for a couple years and then back to nothing.
There is a company that grows them commercially in Michigan but it is a huge secret how they do that..

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know Back to roots has a oyster mushroom kit you can try out for 20 bucks and i think homedepot sells them now. i found my kit at a local wildlife museum. Not a bad set up they have the mix premade and ready you just soak the bag and then mist everyday for 2 weeks but i think its too dry here in the house i started seeing mushroom action and then its stalled. look on craigslist i found ppl in CT that are selling ready to go mushroom logs that are good for 3-5 years of mushroom growing for about $30. i'll post pics once i get some mushrooms going.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We've bought spore from Field and Forest for puho and oyster mushrooms. They did great, we sold them for $8/lb at the farmer's market, and they sold out every time. LOVE them! Thanks for the reminder--I want DH to up the operation this next year.

Latest posts