Growing out of season

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brassicaceaes - cauliflower, cabbage, kale, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and similar green leaf vegetables.

I grew my best cabbages in North Carolina, of all places - during the winter months. They grow super slow. But cold weather seems to make them sweeter.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You need to dig up your corn and plant it again, but this time in a block or they wont pollinate properly.
They are wind pollinated not by insects.

Ah! Thanks for that! I will do :D I have plenty of space and they might be better in the other garden bed anyway.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need to dig up your corn and plant it again, but this time in a block or they wont pollinate properly.
They are wind pollinated not by insects.

If you can get out in the garden early morning, right after the dew evaporates, you can walk the rows and gently thump the stalks and see the pollen shower the plants from above. But your right corn is pollinated via the wind and really should be planted in blocks for best pollination.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I switched them out to another corner of the garden bed, I think they will be better there anyway :D Thanks for the tip.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pumpkin can be saved and dehydrated for later personal use. I love pumpkin leather~

Though hard squashs/pumpkins can be used throughout winter for human and animal feed if stored proper

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Brassicaceaes - cauliflower, cabbage, kale, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and similar green leaf vegetables.

I grew my best cabbages in North Carolina, of all places - during the winter months. They grow super slow. But cold weather seems to make them sweeter.
Plants can be grown from seed (started indoors and kept indoors) or planted outdoors at the end of the season. Plants would need to be acclimatized before they are brought into the yard, and again when you bring them out in the spring or fall.