growing peach trees

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i got some white peaches from the grocery store and my kids loved them

i know that they might not be true to the seed once fruiting and might taste totally different

has anyone everything started them this time of the year by planting them in a starter pot in the fridge for 3 months

thats why i read to do byt was wondering if anyone has accomplished this method

my seeds have been int he fridge for 2 weeks now

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did some apple seeds that way - I put mine in the freezer for a few weeks to simulate winter. Then I sowed them in peat pots placed in a glass caserole dish with a lid, watered them well, covered them with the lid & set the whole thing in the back of my fridge for a couple months. I had 100% germination. but I think peaches are more involved. Don't you have to dry the pit and then get the seed out of it first? Other than that, I'd try it the same way as I did the appleseeds. As to the time of year it was, I don't remember but you can raise them indoors until its ideal to plant them outdoors in your area. I don't know if my apple trees will ever bear fruit but we need trees none the less so I guess fruit will just be a bonus! Good luck!

phoenixmama

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You can certainly grow a peach tree that way, but you will not end up with peaches like what the pit came from. You may not even get a tree at all, or a tree that never bears fruit, or a tree that bears poor quality fruit. To know what to expect from your fruit tree, you really need to buy a tree.

I'm of the opinion that it isn't worth the effort of working with a tree for 3+ years unless you are pretty darn sure that you will be getting good fruit from it. That's just me.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If it grows any tree that is healthy in your location, you could look into grafting a few branches of a good fruit type.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If it was me I would cut to the chase and order a couple of trees from Miller Nursery. I have purchased a couple of trees from them before and they always do great. They even carry a white fleshed dwarf peach!

http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=480

After all it will take about two or three years anyway before your first harvest - more growing from seed. I would speed it up and just buy the trees. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We usually end up with a few volunteer peach trees out of the compost. This is the first year one of them produced fruit, but I haven't had a chance to taste them, the tree is at my DD's house. I should ask her how they turned out.

I also recommend buying a tree in order to get something worthwhile. Dwarf trees produce sooner. We've had one that produced it's second year in the ground. Also, if you buy from a local nursery, they can give you advice and they are more likely to sell trees that will do well in your area. There are many white peaches to choose from. I also recommend freestone peaches. The pit is not attached to the fleshy part of the peach or only slightly so, making it easier to cut the peach up for canning etc.

If you have plenty of land, then by all means, have some fun, take a risk and try to grow a tree from seed. Who knows, you might end up with the worlds new best tasting peach ;)

Latest posts