growth progress of hydroponic tomatoes

sbrook_325

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello all

here is a timeline of one of the hydroponic systems I have. These are 12 tomato plants, celebrity, cherokee purple, big boy, arkansas traveler, and german johnson. Bought at walmart, two of each in 6 bato buckets. It covers almost a 60 day time span. As I am very new to gardening, is this typical growth? The recent heat has made fruits that are smaller than before it got so hot, but they are still producing.

5240_bato_bucket_hydro_tomato_3-30-12.jpg

5240_bato_bucket_hydro_tomato_4-15-12.jpg

5240_bato_bucket_hydro_tomato_5-1-12.jpg

5240_bato_bucket_hydro_tomato_5-4-12.jpg

5240_bato_bucket_hydro_tomato_5-10-12.jpg

5240_bato_bucket_hydro_tomato_5-28-12.jpg

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are they geting enough light? usually tall spindlely growth is a sign that they are growing for sunlight [in normal dirt farming] goodies going for growth are not used for fruit. ~gd

sbrook_325

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
they are partially shaded for half the day, full sun the rest. Would partial shading make a big difference?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sbrook_325 said:
they are partially shaded for half the day, full sun the rest. Would partial shading make a big difference?
I wouldn't think so, I have had good results with pots on my patio that only got morning sun. In the afternoon they were in solid shade from the house.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Holy cow! Is your name Jack, and did you trade the family milk cow for some seeds in your way to market? Watch out for the giant when you climb those vines.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Wow...I'm totally impressed, Steve! :bow

I'll be back with a longer post later...the sky just got awful nasty looking so I'm getting off the puter just in case! ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Steve,

Our tomatoes (in soil) looked like that our first gardening season out here in 2010. These past 2 years, I have just about given up on trying to grow them due to the oppressive heat and drought. My moms' maters are fairing a bit better, but not by much. She told me last night that her Arkansas Travelers have a lot of fruit but they're on the small side this year.

The only mater I'm having luck with this year is Riesentraube, which is a German grape tomato variety. I've sown slicing and paste tomatoes twice this season and lost them due to weather, grasshoppers and who knows what else. :rant I'm going to attempt direct-seeding some slicers and pastes again, just because I'm stubborn that way! :lol:

I'll be following your posts as I'd love to devote some space to both hydroponics and aquaponics whenever doc and I finally get our greenhouse built. Thanks for sharing with us! :hugs