Grrr water pump replacement on veggie hauler

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Man they sure don't make it easy to work on vehicles these dsys. I had to replace the water pump on the veggie hauler. Had to take off a pile of plastic parts just to see the water pump. I figured as long as I was in there I would replace the fan clutch and thermostat and thermostat housing, flush out all the old antifreeze and put in new. Well two hours later I got all the new parts bolted in. Another hour to connect hoses and put all the plastic back on.

I then filled it up with new antifreeze through the upper radiator hose. Because the water pump sits so low on the block, I wanted to make sure I drove all the air out. Then on for a test drive... everything seemed great. i pulled up to a grocery store in town, went in, came back out and there's a big puddle of anti freeze under my truck. I'm like oh crap... I popped the hood and yep sure enough I didn't get the spring clamp on the lower radiator hose up close enough to the theromostat housing.

Lucky for me I brought all the tools i needed along for the test drive "just in case" so here I am in the parking lot of the grocery store, hood up, pile of plastic part next to me, just to put a pair of pliers on a spring clamp so I can slide it like 1/2" closer to the engine. All the while most everyone that walked by me asked if I was ok or wanted to give me advise and some even asked if I needed any help (nice folks). So by the time I finally got it all back together another two hours had passed. Mostly that time consisted of talking to people.

Anyways what should had really been like a 1 hour job turned into atleast 5 hours. But I saved several hundred by purchasing all the parts and doing the repair work myself instead of taking it to a shop. So I guess I shouldn't complain to much... but why do they make it so difficult to work on newer vechicals these days? So you have to take it into the shop for something that used to be easy to fix and spend big bucks for what used to be an inexpensive fix? I don't get why they make it so difficult, it makes no sense to me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From the Google machine.

"The average cost for a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 water pump replacement is between $348 and$562. Labor costs are estimated between $158 and $200 while parts are priced between $190 and $362. Estimate does not include taxes and fees."

With my shade tree mechanic discout and the manager of the autoparts store really likes me. New water pump, thermostat, housing & fan clutch all with (lifetime warranty) and two gallones of anti freeze cost me a little less that $140.00 (including paying Dick Durbin for the privilege (sales tax)) so I guess I shouldnt complain too much... I could have paid upwards of $550.00 - so that's a plus :) I'm feeling a little better about the repair job now.