Guess what DrakeMaiden?? She's in business!! Ah Ducks...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I now have three of the most beautiful blue-green duck eggs that I have ever seen!! Woot! "Francesca" is officially amongst the egg laying crowd.

I almost couldn't wait to tell you. She started to lay on Monday.

A while back, Drake and I traded a pair of Ameraucanas for a pair of Rouens. (I think I got the better end of that deal. ;) )

Now, I wonder why I don't have an all duck flock. Chickens?? Who needs chickens when you can have cuddly clowns that DONT crow, cackle loudly, aren't rough with their hens, and lay beautiful big blue-green eggs on a daily basis?

I love my ducks!! The male duck "Philippe" follows me everywhere I go, he is my shadow. If I stop to quickly he runs right into me. :love I love him!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am right there with you! I am loving my ducks!

Say, were you eavesdropping? because E and I just had this conversation this week!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yes, I've got chicken poo too, big black and white marshmallows of it all over the yard too. Poo is poo. :p

I'm having a rooster issue, he is getting too rough with my favorite hen who wants nothing to do with him. Her poor little comb is bloodied and he wont let her lay an egg in peace. :rolleyes:

Then I see ma and pa duck lolly gagging in the yard with not a care in the world. Holding hands almost. I actually think she enjoys their bouts of "cuddling", whereas the chickens looked shocked and confused.

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Would like to see a picture of your ducks and their eggs. Our Khaki campbell eggs are not very pretty, whitish tan, but streaky. Almost look dirty, but they're not. We always have to explain to people what they are supposed to look like.

would love to have bluish eggs. We just got 2 EE a couple weeks ago from someone who had too many chickens. We included 1 blue egg in the 6 packs that we pass on to neighbors. Can't wait to hear their reaction.

Do you sell/give away your duck eggs?

YardFarmer Julie

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I'm having a rooster issue, he is getting too rough with my favorite hen who wants nothing to do with him. Her poor little comb is bloodied and he wont let her lay an egg in peace. :rolleyes:
That is why I PREFER no rooster at all unless they are free ranging. Or you can keep the rooster penned separately until you NEED him for replacement eggs. Also some roos just have better manners in the first place. Some breeds like RIR are known for their aggressive roosters.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok. I'll post a photo of her egg (we ate the other two already) and I'll throw in a photo of them too. Here is a sneak peak, if you look in the back ground, that is Philippe.
912_this_little_piggy_073.jpg

I only have 6 laying hens and all are sporadic layers 'cept for my Ruby my RIR (also in the photo) and Pumpkin Pie my next favorite, she is a lovely BO. (Oh, I forgot to mention, I got her from Drake too. :) )

The others are Ameraucanas, EEs and a BA. I also have a black copper maran pullet that should be laying chocolate brown eggs this summer.

So to make a long story longer...we eat all the eggs ourselves. I get about 3-4 a day. Enough for us all to enjoy. Occasionally I give them away to my neighbors in 6 packs. They have to put up with Tex and his pipes. :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
big brown horse said:
That is why I PREFER no rooster at all unless they are free ranging. Or you can keep the rooster penned separately until you NEED him for replacement eggs. Also some roos just have better manners in the first place. Some breeds like RIR are known for their aggressive roosters.
Good idea, I should just keep him separate. He is a good roo to all the other chickens. It is really ticking him off that Ruby doesn't like him. (She is having trouble with NOT being the boss of the flock I think.)

I'm planning on exchanging him for my black copper maran roo, as soon as he grows up. He is so sweet and docile. Tex is an Ameraucana and a mighty good looking roo, I hope he gets over himself, but if not roo stew!! :p

I had my heart set on a bunch of EE mixes in the future, but I think I may have to have maran mixes. They are supposed to be good egg layers according to the breeder I got them from.

However, I am really excited about baby ducklings!!!!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Since you have both kinds of rooster you could do a test. Breed the hens to the EE roo and then wait a while and breed to the Maran roo. Hatch both sets of eggs and band the resulting pullets then have an egg laying contest!

Eat any losers!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Great idea!!

I'm getting a proven broody hen from Cinebar, so I can begin to hatch my own chicks without having to babysit them. I love to see a mama and her chicks in action too.

This year I am going to man up and butcher the left over roos...I think.