GUESS WHAT!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:weee YAY on the bike riding, its much fun to do!!!

I never understand the USA when it comes to swimming, in South Africa almost every school has a swimming pool, kids swim from very little, and swim meets are as popular there as football here, well almost.
Everyone swims and competes at school, along with athletics and things like that.

It actually seems difficult to find a dang POOL around here, I started to teach my son to swim 6 years ago - we had a pool at the apartment complex where we lived, he was 4 years old then. He still can't swim really well - he hasn't had much chance, but he can stay afloat and move around in the water which is very important to learn.

I taught him first how to relax on his back and just float, he can do that like a champ!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol:

Yeah, water can be scary at times. I was forced to try in school for Phy Ed, almost drown a couple times. Guess that's all the more reason to learn, huh?

Now that I know how, I would love to go for a bike ride today, but my butt hurts too bad. It would help if I sat back further, but I can't without um. certain things getting in the way. I definitely need to figure something different out.

Yay for learning new things!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My soon to be ex BIL is a urologist. His bike has a split seat that is supposed to protect "parts".

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol:

This reminds me of the song Sally posted regarding certain exes. :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I saw a different style bike seat in Walmart that was just the wider "back" part that your butt sits on. Probably more comfortable for guys and it had lots of the foamy cushy stuff that makes it softer to sit on. I'm sure bike shops would have similar ones too.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
After chores my brother taught me how. When I was smaller no one really ever had time to teach me, and the few times my brother tried years ago I would just fall over and get hurt. But now I know how! YAY ME!
Next I might try to learn how to swim!
OMG that makes me so sad that no one ever taught you to ride a bike. It must have been a little intimidating as an older person trying to do it (a lot farther to fall). Yay for you! :D I hope you learn to swim this summer too. Swimming is so much fun! :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can get split seats and ones with little .... holder areas for the parts ;) my dad used to ride abotu 10km every day, and he has a special mens seat for his bike.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, congratulations on learning a new skill!

I learned to bike ride before I can even remember. Swimming- whole other issue. My father was ex-Navy and felt we SHOULD (must) learn to swim. I tended to drown. I went through 3 levels of YMCA lessons and only could "swim" as far as I could hold my breath. Then I had to stop, stand up, and breathe. I also panicked when I got into water deeper than I could stand- because I couldn't breathe. Years after that, we joined a community pool where many of my friends were, and I eventually learned to swim, and even jump off a diving board into deep water, and joined the swim team as a backstroker (easier to breathe!). I have to say, I still don't swim for "enjoyment". It isn't.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Congrats!! I think its great that you learned to ride....as for swimming, I can get myself out of a short pinch, but thats it. I don't like being under, or places I can't touch. The ocean is ok, as long as the waves aren't too big. I've almost drowned 3 times as a kid, so water is not my friend, lol

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I need to be able to see my feet. And I don't do ponds or lakes. Too squishy....