guinea keet with a badly splayed leg...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks, least im not the only one, i think this was just a weak batch, the good news is the oe thats doing realy well is the only one i REALY wanted (a lavender) so even if this litte guy doesnt make it i stll have 2 whites, 2 pieds, 2 pearls and 2 lavs.
i taped his legs, tried to brace the leg/hip joint but teres just no way of doing it...gonna give him till tomorow and see if he manages to ull those legs up nder him (right now thereback again) if not ill untape him and just let him be, little gimpy can move even wit the duff leg, but hes now about 1/2 the size of the lav who will be ready to go outside in another week or so so hes got a week to show some kind of improvment.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You can use duct tape! Just put a cloth backing on the part you don't want to stick to bird, and leave a little sticky tab on the end. I think we used freezer tape on ours :lol:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah i tried it with medical tape, sticks to itself real well but not very well to feahters, but i couldnt get the leg positoned and taped without either effecting movement in the other leg or taping close to the vent...its like the hip itself instad of being flush to the body is popped outwards and then the leg twists further from there...the only thinki can think of is he must have got stuck and dislocated his hip and then not been able to getthe leg back under him...
odd because he was fine one morning when i checked on them, and wonky leged the next
i can manipulate the leg no issues theres no popping or grinding, ive never seen a leg splay and twist back so badly...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Will it not pop back into place and then you can tape it?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thats whats odd, theres no actual popping it moves perfectly freely just at a funky angle...
wondering if hes actually got a deformed hip socket, it just looks like its popped out lol.

the good news is after some brace modification he has both feet UNDER him now rather than just floping around on his belly liek a fish...
*fingers crossed*
i dont think itll ever be 100%, but its progress... :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:woot As fast as they grow at this age...I wouldn't be suprised if since it is more properly placed now that it won't work itself out in the next growth spurt ;) I HOPE!!