gun nuts i need help

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i have a older 500 12 guage mossberg pump i have 2 barrels one barrel is a 2 3/4 26 inch Imp cylinder skeet, other is a 30 inch full choke both smooth barrels in the inside my question is can i shoot buckshot and slugs threw either of these barrels and if so wich barrel would be better for buckshot and slugs?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You can shoot buckshot thru either one of those barrels, but for accuracy with a slug, you will need a rifled slug barrel. Mossberg 500 slug barrels can be had pretty reasonably on Gunbroker.com

My current setup, is a 500 that I added a shortened(18.5 inches) slug barrel with rifle sights on it, and I shoot #4 or #00 buck with it. INCREDIBLE short range patterns with the rifled barrel makes it a GREAT "in house" gun.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* snicker snicker snicker *

the first mention of "gun nuts" and SKR8PN is the first to arrive!

whoot! way to to, brother! *hugs SKR8PN*

;-)

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't run slugs through that full choke barrel. Full choke means there is a bit of taper, or the inside of the barrel actually narrows down a bit. You can see the problem pushing a solid slug through that. Buckshot will do fine in it, though. This is also a good barrel for shooting light shot like #6 or #8 like you would use for birds or squirrel.
The improved cylinder will work well with slugs. Buckshot will work too, but you will have a very wide pattern. This means the individual pellets will be scattered out over a wide area. You will hit more, but with less effect - one or two pellets per target rather than several.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so ur sayin if i wanted a more centered kill hit i should use the 30 inch full choke barrel for birdshot and buckshot this gun is more for home defense gun n some game kills

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so wich barrel would be better for farther range kill with buckshot?