Guns/Ammo the new Gold/Silver?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad to know we have invested our money well.

We don't have as much as some of these guys do,but we are stocked.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate to quote fiction, but in One second after, a few .22 rounds went for a fat rabbit or a couple of birds in trade.. During times folks were starving to death.

Honestly, I have ammo that came back from Korea, and it's still in good shape, and if you keep it in a dry box it will last for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know if bullets will actually be barterable, but I know that if you practice regularly, you're gonna probably need at least a thousand rounds just for one year. Per gun you use. As far as I'm concerned having a gun and not practicing with it is like having a complete stocked kitchen and never learning how to cook.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Guns/Ammo Gold/Silver Food/Seeds Solar/Wind Animals/Farmland hmm.... Last fronts to put money since the paper world is a joke. The game is coming to an end and now things that mattered not are now main stream. :) Those that read there tea leafs, runes, bible or gut seem to be ready for it. 2012 in my book will be one heck of a ride. We plan on nailing down our last needs and plan to weather one heck of a storm. We do not believe in the End of the World situation but things are not looking good on a lot of national security issues or domestic issues. We believe truelly this will be our generations biggest election yet. All is at stake. The true principles are at stake!
A rant could go on for hours on this topic but the election to us is a measuing point for our prepping, getting off grid more, nailing a few homestead needs down.

Guns and Ammo is like air and water for a Mainha. :) Just read our Maine Constitution on gun rights. It's better than the 2nd Amendment. WILL NEVER BE QUESTIONED!!!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Britesea said:
As far as I'm concerned having a gun and not practicing with it is like having a complete stocked kitchen and never learning how to cook.
How true.....

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In a scenario like the one depicted in the book, One Second After, I wouldn't advise bartering any ammo away. It could be used against you. I'd be willing to trade away things that were of no use to me or that I could reproduce like excess food or animals.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
According to FerFal, who lived through Argentina's economic collapse, barter was only used a lot during the very worst of the crisis. Paper money was still used, but it was worth a lot less; hyperinflation changed the value of paper money hour to hour. People were only allowed to take out something like $300 a month from the banks. It gradually stabilized again and barter went out of fashion although I suspect it's used more in the country (FerFal is a city boy). He recommends having at least 1 month's supply of money on hand (not in the bank, in case they close their doors) and as much gold and silver as you can stockpile. 10 years after the collapse, he is still trading gold for money when he needs a large amount.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Each time I read a string like this I am motivated to think about the term TEOTWAWKI because to me the key part of the term is not EOTW but more so AWKI! It is however important to put them both together to make a coherent concept in order to form a new perspective.

Has this ever happened before? Of course it has. Ask anyone over 90 years old. They were born into the early 20th century with the horse still the primary souce of transportation. They watched man step out onto the moon, watched the pictures of the Land Rover on Mars and a long list of developments in the realm of technology, much of which only happened after 1947...but remember it was only a weather balloon...

So, has it happened in other places? Of course it has. Ask anyone who was born in the late 1920's or Early 1930's. They saw the world change radically while the Axis powers devastated Europe and changed our way of life here in the USA.

However, on reflection, we consistently discuss these concepts from the perspective that the majority of the country (and the world) for that matter) does NOT appear to be either ready, willing or able to understand, much less adapt to such changes in the future. Why? No one really knows. Life for most of the world is a hand to mouth, live in the moment existance which offers little option to plan for a future as uncertain as we SS'ers appear to believe. Why we believe this is quite simple. The reason is because we have seen it happen multiple times in the past and have observed (either first of second hand) the difficulties that arose as the result of it.
How many of us saw photographs of the "soup lines" in the cities, or heard our parents talk about "The Great Depression" as if it was really "Great" rather than expansive and overwhelming. What got them out of the "TGD" was WW II. Is that what we have to look forward to in our time? I imagine the answer is yes but who really knows? The seeds of self-sufficiency were planted in our hearts back then because everyone conserved EVERYTHING because they either had to learn how to use it for some other purpose or because they would invariably need it again.

When we discuss the concept of bartering, one person said "don't barter ammo because it might get used on you!" and that seems like very good advice. Ammo is necessary to hunt, both kinds of animals...the ones you eat and the ones that shoot back, hence the wisdom in the statement about bartering ammo.

On the other hand, bartering small things for small things does NOT invite the greedy or the treacherous/deceitful to think that you have "TOO MUCH" and that it would be "OK" for them to steal what you have in order to feed "THEIR FAMILY" which they will assure you is their only concern.

We all are aware that while gold and silver seem to be able to retain their "value" throughout the ages, they are still "undigestable" and quite frankly less useful. They are merely luxuries which in times of trouble seem to help folks feel better but do not make those difficult times "go away" any faster or at all for that matter.

All that having been said, it appears to me that tools are more precious than any other single item in one's possession. Tools can work the soil, fix what is broken and provide warmth and shelter for those displaced by war/etc.

So, to me, having tools is far more valuable than having gold or silver. The use of them can be bartered and will be a lot less vulnerable to theft because the person using the tools has the skill/experience to use them effectively, particularly in a time of trouble.

Seeds would seem to me to be the next most valuable item because good seeds can produce not only good food but MORE SEEDS for the perpetuation of survival for many. This seems to be the most valuable of all commodities in hard times. You CAN eat from them but must consider that it is a "delayed gratification" and that those unwilling to prepare for the times between the seasons of planting and harvest will try to find some other way to seek gratification; particularly if their belly is empty.

What then will become of the masses who do not prepare for this time? Well, according to Aesop, they will become as locusts and descend on those with the resources that they put away, hoping to fill their belly once more instead of figuring out how to perpetuate their survival by working. THis then will bring the changes that we all "fear" but will hopefully be able to adapt to so that once the "world as we know it" returns to some semblance of equanimity, life will once again be good for all.
YMMV
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TheMartianChick said:
In a scenario like the one depicted in the book, One Second After, I wouldn't advise bartering any ammo away. It could be used against you. I'd be willing to trade away things that were of no use to me or that I could reproduce like excess food or animals.
oh that's why they were trading .22's and keeping the heavy stuff for self defense.