Had it with my bank! What are some alternatives?

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had a very nice thing going on with my bank. In one account, I had my VA disability check deposited and my utilities came out automatically. In another, I could deposit my cash on the way home from work, and then I could use my debit card whenever I wanted or needed to. It was awesome.

Lately they have been going crazy with the fees. If I am overdrawn for even one second (like, I handed the mechanic the wrong card and realized it a minute too late, then immediately had him refund me and charge the proper card) I get hit with an over draft fee. If I don't use the account enough I get a fee. If I put money in savings and it isn't enough I get a fee. The list is endless!

So, I ma just about done. I don't want to go to a completely cash based system because I still buy a lot for things on line, and I also don't like to carry my cash around because its too easy to spend it. I do need something LIKE a bank.

However, no real bank will take me bacause my credit so so poor.

Any suggestions?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Credit Union maybe? Visa prepaid. Small local banks won't take you either? I hate fees...I refuse to pay fees, I'd go full cash before paying fees for allowing them to keep a deposit of MY money. That is ridiculous!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I didn't like a big bank so I went small a few months ago, but I need to keep a minimum balance, but I'm going to do it to avoid the big guys. I don't like fees, but I subtract a fake service charge to keep me safe. I always play games with myself to keep me safe. Like adding and subtracting wrong to what appears to be my disadvantage. It isn't a quick fix, but it adds up after a while.
Considering your current problems, maybe go with an old fashion ckg acct, with no debit card.....idk. Most ckg accts do have interest now, so I see no reason to keep a savings acct. Deposit your cks, play games with yourself to stay safe and hold enough cash to not need a card.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I too would maybe check out a local credit union. We are mostly cash based, but once a month put money in to pay bills that have to be electronically paid or a check written out. We use a credit union and I "would not" use a financial institution that had fees for anything other than a bounced check. A bounced check fee in my opinion is the only acceptable fee. Best wishes!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I usually have multiple accounts in multiple banks. Only way to manage to save anything. But, being as the cards look alike....I make sure I get totally different debit cards and checks for each account. I have 2 accounts with just BofA....and very easy to mix them up if I don't have different visual cues. My daily driver looks like the Visa card. My secondary account....is Hello Kitty. :gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well when you have a Hello Kitty system, how can you go wrong?! :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I am so happy to not have to deal with banks anymore... SSDI goes straight onto a MasterCard debit card and no fees for POS purchases and 2 free cash withdrawals. With good planning, I pay no fees.

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just recently switched to a credit union because my job qualifies for their program...and I switched from one of the worst big banks, too. I had gotten slapped with "low balance" fees (Wasn't even "low" IMO!!) so I had enough. Now the credit union I'm with gives free checking if you do one of 3 things, one of them being: receiving online statements instead of paper. Good luck!

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Credit unions are even pickier about credit than regular banks are, anret they? I doubt they would take me, either.

I got all my accounts messed up several years ago, so badly that I thought I would never get out. NOw the bank has me flagged as "abusing" my checking accounts. NO one will let me in. I jsut tried last week. Left in tears because I really wanted to use that bank.

FOr those of you using a debit card only, what kind do you have? I need a place to start some research.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dont know if this helps anyone or not, but we have a wal mart card- and yes you can only use it at wal mart but we save on buying gas that way. and we put money on it each payday and that is our gas money till next payday. (he only gets payed every 2 weeks.)any extra gets saved over the year and we use that for christmas. or emergency stuff that we need for like meds or groceries. wal mart also sells a reloadable debit/ visa we have been talking about one of those.

Latest posts