Hand cream

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A post by Farmer Chick made me think to ask about hand creams. During the winter, my hands get severly dry, cracked, and peeling. If I bump my knuckles, I often bleed. Anyone have a miracle cure for cracked hands? I've used wax based products, regular lotions, and petroluem based. What works for you?

Thanks,
Inchy

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We try not to use petroleum products in our creams, lotions, etc. So instead, we use lanolin from the health food store; creams with a combination of almond oil and beeswax; or honey and beewax.

ETA: the messy ones are great for overnight treatments.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I use Bag Balm. (from the local co-op.) It really works well, a little goes a long way. It must have been pretty popular in the town I grew up in because I grew up with Shania Twains family, and yes, Shania uses it too:>)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Creamy petroleum jelly (generic variety at Wal-Mart). It's the only thing I've found to work for me and my dry relatives.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My DH uses Udder Cream. Keeps his hands nice and soft. :)

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bag balm and Udder Cream never worked for me. but I have found that if my hands get dry and feel like sandpaper, after I wash my hair I put a small amount of conditioner in my hands and rub them together put it on my hair and then rub the rest into my hands. Helps alot.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I've heard that washing your hands with goat's milk soap is less drying than regular (petroleum-based) soaps. Also the best thing that has worked for me was some hand salve made with herbs and probably beeswax (it was sold by a beekeeper). If you have bleeding spots, you may also try calendula cream, as that is supposed to help healing.

Like keljonma says, using the salves or creams overnight is probably most effective. It also works well to apply the lotion and then cover your hands with rubber or latex gloves while you work during the day.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Also, slather the moisturizer on thick at night, and sleep with a pair of gloves on--I use those cheap stretchy finger gloves that you get at the dollar store.