hand laundry indoor drying tips

StarWish624

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I do a lot of hand laundry. and hang it all in the shower to dry. I have an adjustable clothes hanging pole at the top of my shower stall to hang the clothing on while they dry. Drying indoors just seems to take so much more time than when it hangs outside, but in my case, I cannot do this. So, after taking a few days to finally dry, the clothes were generally stiff. I read a tip that solves a lot of the problems. It said to attach a small clip-on fan to the top of the shower curtain pole/door, and aim the fan inside at the laundry. The fresh, moving air dries the clothing quicker, and by causing the clothes to gently move (like in outside drying), it helps to make them softer. The fan also helps the water to evaperate in the shower stall quickly, and this fights mildew and water spots.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's a good idea.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I find that shaking the clothes out well and then giving them a good snap into shape helps with some of the stiffness. That's what Grandma always did before she put clothes on the line. She also would toss the towels in the drier on no heat fluff for 5-10 minutes if they really needed it. Shaking the clothes when you take them off helps a little, too.

I prefer to hang stuff by an open window if I can. A fan does help. Clothes that take to long to dry always smell kind of musty to me.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 2 drying racks. (Got them at wal mart) when I dry clothes in the house I set them under the ceiling fan and turn it on. Normaly can do 4-5 loads a day like this. Litte less if I do socks.

It got real cold the last few days, so we have the wood heat going and I set the racks closer to the stove vents.

taoist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Adding some white vinegar to the rinse cycle also helped mine be less stiff after drying.

PeuAPeu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I usually hang mine out on the line but with all the pollen I can't hang mine out right now.

Kimberly

Latest posts