Hand Spinning (Alpaca)

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all! I have access to a LOT of raw alpaca fiber for free from my MIL. I am a baby knitter that doesn't have the money for decent yarn, so I'd really like to be able to turn it into something I can use. Starting with something easier like wool is not an option. I have it washed, and now need to card it. I don't have the money for actual fiber carding paddles. Any reason dog grooming brushes wouldn't work well enough? Any other cheap ideas for carding?

Also, if anyone has instructions/tutorials for a drop spindle that works well for alpaca (and a beginner's learning curve) that would be great!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:caf

One day, I would like to do what you are doing. That sounds so neat. ALL the alpaca you want-WOW!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, what a score!

Why wouldn't the dog brushes work? They are so similar, just smaller, aren't they?

:pop Keep us informed on how it goes. I always wanted to do this, too. Next trip to Denver I'll be able to bring back my family's spinning wheel that they brought with them when they immigrated to the US in 1872. My mother still has spools, one has wool on it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sicker brushes don't work for carding wool. The brushes are much too flexible. I have use them with little success with angora. I got my carders for a couple $ at an auction. Cheaper than the dog brushes that didn't work. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Would you be interested in trading some sheep wool for some alpaca? I don't have a lot, but I don't use it because I don't have something softer to mix in. Mixing sheep wool with your alpaca will make it a lot easier to work with!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ohhh so jealous!!
There are a lot of tutorials online for different things.
I can't wait to have alpacas so I can learn to do this!
Drop spinning is probably the easiest way to spin it.

hqueen13

Reaction score
PS, if you're anywhere near western North Carolina, the Southeastern Fiber Festival happens every year there - http://www.saffsite.org/
My mother has been and said it is a WEALTH of information. I'm sure you'd be able to get some assistance there.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nope, I am in Oregon (Portlandish). The plan is to figure out how to drop spindle, as I can't afford a wheel, don't have the knowledge to rationalize buying one, and don't have the space for one anyway. Hooray for You Tube! lol!:lol:

hqueen13

Reaction score
Drop Spindles are easy to make, heck you can make one out of a dowel and a CD :p
And they aren't too difficult to use, though becoming good at it, just like anything, takes time :)
Best of luck!

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would suggest you learn to spin using wool first, then move to the alpaca. Take the poster above up on the offer to trade some sheeps wool for alpaca fleece, learn to use the wool, then start using the alpaca fleece- it is far too valuable to be used for practice! Your first couple of balls of yarn will be pretty ugly, and you could have sold that expensive alpaca fleece for far more than enough to buy the wool you'll use to make that ugly yarn. Once you're good at making yarn, THEN go to the alpaca.