Happy to be Me--Settling In

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi neighbor, we are in the Florida pan handle. I would love to go off grid, but hubby is not on the same page as me. Look forward to hearing your progress.
Nancy

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Had a pretty good weekend. Good turn out for the yard sale and we got rid of a bunch of items. Not as many of the big things as we would have liked but those are easy to advertize locally. Once we finish selling those, it will end up being close to what we need to install the new septic system when the time comes. Yay! Got to take a nice long motorcycle ride on Sunday afternoon after church and dinner with the oldest kids. The ride was so relaxing! Today is rainy and dreary here which isn't good for motivation, but we sure need the moisture. I think I'll make soup for supper tonight since that always seems to fit a dreary day and make it cozy instead!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You got that right! I love soup on a cool, rainy day.

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yay! We finally got to close on our property yesterday! For a while it didn't look like it would happen at all, then when the appraisal came in, it was far less than the negotiated price and we figured that was the end of it. Amazingly, the sellers agreed to take it so we feel like we got a really good deal! Lots of work to be done--we started in on the farm house today to see if it could be made liveable and it has potential to be really cute at some point. Still a lot of things for us to work out but we should be out on the property by mid-October at the latest.

Since I posted last, we spent a good deal of time working on getting things done around here to help us prep for the moving. We had some friends stay for the weekend right before I left on the 20th to visit my family. had a fantastic two weeks! Got to help one aunt clean her garage and then we went through some of the remaining boxes she had stored from my Grandma (her mother). We found so many amazing things! The best was the hand-crocheted slip ( i guess that is what it would be called--the lace showed underneath the actual dress) that Grandma wore as a six-month old baby in her first picture and was made by my Great-Grandmother. We actually found three of the slips and pulled out old baby pictures of Grandma and her siblings. We were able to identify Grandma's slip and her brother's (yes, brothers!) but aren't sure on the other one. Grandma was born in 1905. In addition to that, we found EVERY card she had ever received--at least starting in high-school--and lots of newspaper clippings and letters. Amazing family history lesson. I wound up bringing home a box of items (including the slips!) of old family embroidery work and linens and a few things I remember fondly from my childhood. We had so much fun together! Then spent time with my sister and her family and enjoyed that immensely. It was so unusual to not be the one to worry about what to fix for meals, what to do, etc. I just got to be there and enjoy it. Highly recommended! Spent Labor Day weekend with an aunt from the other side of the family and was given the family bible and the necklace that was a present to my other Grandmother when she graduated from highschool. And got some more family history lessons there too. I love that type of stuff. The best part though was just getting to spend time with my extended family. We are pretty far from everyone so that was a real treat. I even got to see four of my five cousins!

We have been working hard this week on things both here at teh current house to get it ready for the new occupants and to get things ready for what needs to be done out at the property.

Today we had the well company come to see if they can get the well working and since we didn't have enough water out there to prime it, they showed my husband what to do to see if it would work once we can bring a large quantity of water out (good excuse to buy the rain barrel I want!). it is a 50/50 chance that the pump will work. Normally, they don't even work on this type (it isn't a submersible one and is very old). But he tried what he could and said if we aren't able to get enough water, they will bring out their truck with the water tank and see what they can do.

have a busy weekend coming up. Friends from when our kids little are coming to visit tomorrow and will stay the night and then there is a dinner at church on Sunday to prepare for. Hope to be on here a little more frequently again after that!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hope you are too. I want to read more of your journey.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on closing! Now the fun begins.

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Had a wonderful visit with our friends on Saturday. The dinner at church went well and after all was cleaned up, we went out to the property for a while. Both sets of kids came out and we explored a little bit. We picked out our site for the trailer we are going to put out there. Have two different companies coming this week to give us quotes on clearing it. Also getting some estimates on getting some windows replaced in the farm house. Even if we aren't going to live in it, our daughter and her husband will temporarily and they hope to move out there withing the next six months and put their house up for sale We are trying to figure out if we are going to put in another well, try to get the current one running and see if it will continue to run or just go on county water or some combination of those. I have to go tomorrow to the water authority and see if county water is even an option out there. Also have to drop some paperwork off at the place we are purchasing our mobile home. I did go today and get a bunch more boxes from a local moving company so I think I have enough now.

There has been so much going on and so many changes in the last couple of months that I am a little overwhelmed. Sometimes it seems like things change daily! But it is exciting too. I took some picture out there on Friday so I'll try to see if i can figure how to post some in a little bit.

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Front of the farm house
5342_dscn1834.jpg

Back of the farm house
5342_dscn1856.jpg

I'll have to get some better pictures of the old barn and some of the views on the property before posting more. Oh, yeah--we saw two turkey hens when we were out there on Sunday. Can't wait to start seeing even wildlife when actually get to live out there!