Happy to have found this site. Hello everyone.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The breeds I’m most interested in raising are Jersey Giants, Naked Necks, White Rocks, and Black Australorps. I want large birds for meat but I would like to be able to sell eggs to defer costs. This is why I’m interested in the larger DP breeds. With plants, my main focus is edibles but I grow a lot of different things. I’ve planted some really interesting ornamentals this year to hide the neighbors scrap pile. Osmanthus purpurea and San Jose, Callistemon Woodlander’s Hardy, Eleagnus Olive Martini, and Vitex angus-castus to name a few. I’ve also been planting food for the chickens. Dutch White Clover, Alfalfa, and Chickory. This fall I’ll also be planting a pollinator garden. No real need for a greenhouse. I just grow things indoors in the winter.
I haven't ever tried any of those chicken breeds,but I know people tend to really like the Australorps.

Great plant selection!

Up here in the frozen north I like to focus on plants that we can eat, or that are good with pollinators. So I grow a bunch of chives, then geraniums, yarrow, columbine, forget-me-nots, ajuga (sp?), and something else that escapes me at the moment.

For annuals i always like to grow nasturtium and calendula, since both are edible.

Plantnerd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh, and I meant to ask, how many outbuildings did you get?
We don’t have any outbuildings. I’m in the process of building a 16X20 Wood’s style coop. When we bought the property we only had the house and detached garage. The house is a Cape Cod style built in 1939. The only addition was an 8X20 mud room. Other than that the house is all original. Our neighbor grew up in this house. Her father built it himself, so we know the whole history of it which is pretty fantastic. She always tells us stories about it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all. I recently joined BYC and it didn’t take long to realize that I have a different way of looking at things than the majority of folks over there and it seems to me it might be a better fit over here. Basically, I thought chickens were for food and I guess that’s frowned upon in other venues so here I am. I have been working with plants for most of my life and I have spent a good deal of time around chickens at places I have worked. I have always rented but always grew herbs and veg in containers. My wife and I bought a house 2yrs ago that was a farm in the 40’s and we are in the process of turning it back into a farm. I’m happy to be here and look forward to learning and sharing any knowledge I have to help others. Thanks for being here.

welcome to SS. :) how much room do you have there? it's a lot of work, but i enjoy all my gardening activities here too. being semi-retired i can do about what i want most of the time so that's a nice way to live.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. How wonderful that you now have your farm, even better when you get the 5 acres next to you. On my list of chicken breeds in the White Rocks and because I think they are so pretty, Jubilee Orpingtons. I have no chickens right now, gave them to a disabled couple because I'll be moving in the spring and needed to cut down. I love to garden and will be looking forward to pictures of your gardening.

Old hens make the best broth and I can the meat. Rich and full of flavor, it makes the best chicken salad, soup or whatever you use chicken in. many of us here do a lot of canning and will be glad to help you any way we can.