Happy to have found this site. Hello everyone.

Plantnerd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello all. I recently joined BYC and it didn’t take long to realize that I have a different way of looking at things than the majority of folks over there and it seems to me it might be a better fit over here. Basically, I thought chickens were for food and I guess that’s frowned upon in other venues so here I am. I have been working with plants for most of my life and I have spent a good deal of time around chickens at places I have worked. I have always rented but always grew herbs and veg in containers. My wife and I bought a house 2yrs ago that was a farm in the 40’s and we are in the process of turning it back into a farm. I’m happy to be here and look forward to learning and sharing any knowledge I have to help others. Thanks for being here.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all. I recently joined BYC and it didn’t take long to realize that I have a different way of looking at things than the majority of folks over there and it seems to me it might be a better fit over here. Basically, I thought chickens were for food and I guess that’s frowned upon in other venues so here I am. I have been working with plants for most of my life and I have spent a good deal of time around chickens at places I have worked. I have always rented but always grew herbs and veg in containers. My wife and I bought a house 2yrs ago that was a farm in the 40’s and we are in the process of turning it back into a farm. I’m happy to be here and look forward to learning and sharing any knowledge I have to help others. Thanks for being here.

welcome to SS. :) how much room do you have there? it's a lot of work, but i enjoy all my gardening activities here too. being semi-retired i can do about what i want most of the time so that's a nice way to live.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here chickens can be just pets, just layers, just meat, or all!! 😁 Rabbits are pets or meat, same with goats, cows plus dairy....we all KNOW that meat isn't the veggie stuff out now. We also don't have an issue if that's what you want ... Veggie burgers! Pretty cool, right?

We have gardeners here. We can, freeze, dehydrate and some have freeze dryers. No doubt you can help us and we can help you! Congrats on returning a farm to being one!!

Welcome!!

Plantnerd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
welcome to SS. :) how much room do you have there? it's a lot of work, but i enjoy all my gardening activities here too. being semi-retired i can do about what i want most of the time so that's a nice way to live.
Thank you. We currently have just over 3 acres but we are hoping to buy another 5 from our neighbor. I thoroughly enjoy the work. I regularly work 16-18 hour days between my job and at home. I’m the kind of person that likes to stay busy and I love being outside. I have been growing food since I was a kid and I hope to be able to continue doing it for a long time. That is a very nice way to live.

Plantnerd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here chickens can be just pets, just layers, just meat, or all!! 😁 Rabbits are pets or meat, same with goats, cows plus dairy....we all KNOW that meat isn't the veggie stuff out now. We also don't have an issue if that's what you want ... Veggie burgers! Pretty cool, right?

We have gardeners here. We can, freeze, dehydrate and some have freeze dryers. No doubt you can help us and we can help you! Congrats on returning a farm to being one!!

Welcome!!
Thank you. Any animal can be a pet if you want it to be and I have no issues with that. I don’t judge people for how they choose to live their life. There seems to be less judgement here from what I’ve read so far. This seems to be a community more interested in helping each other achieve their goals through education and sharing of knowledge which I truly appreciate. Thank you again for the warm welcome. I’m looking forward to the shred wisdom found here.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome!

I have chickens that are pets, and I have little jerks that are going to Camp Kenmore shortly. Mom wants them badly. I usually soup most extras because it's usually silkies I have excess of and they are so small.

If I thought I could deal physically with butchering larger animals, I'd raise goats. As it is, I need to get fences in and get a couple pet wethers to help keep the place clear of blackberries.

Plantnerd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome!

I have chickens that are pets, and I have little jerks that are going to Camp Kenmore shortly. Mom wants them badly. I usually soup most extras because it's usually silkies I have excess of and they are so small.

If I thought I could deal physically with butchering larger animals, I'd raise goats. As it is, I need to get fences in and get a couple pet wethers to help keep the place clear of blackberries.
Thank you. We would love to have goats but just don’t have the space right now. If we can buy some land from the neighbor, the next step would be goats. I would also like to have chickens that would be closer to a pet status as I would like to eventually work with heritage breeds to preserve those genetics. That will come with time but the culls would still be dinner.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you. We would love to have goats but just don’t have the space right now. If we can buy some land from the neighbor, the next step would be goats. I would also like to have chickens that would be closer to a pet status as I would like to eventually work with heritage breeds to preserve those genetics. That will come with time but the culls would still be dinner.
What kind of chickens are you thinking of getting?

I love heritage breeds. I highly recommend Dominiques. Dominiques are an old American breed. I think the first true American breed.

If you don't have your heart set on an American breed. I was quite enamored by the personality and history of the Nankin. They are an incredibly old breed, and supposedly the males tend to do better together than most breeds.

I never tried Nankins, from what I read they wouldn't have done well in the cold up here.

They are originally from England. And I know England gets cold, but Nankins are so small that they would stay in the warm barn, or even in the house.

Anyway... as to gardens... do you focus on food only? Or also medicinal plants, or just flowers?

Do you have a greenhouse?

Latest posts