Happy to have found this site. Hello everyone.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I

I love Nasturtium. I grow some every year. That’s one of the plants I grow inside in the winter. It’s super easy. If you use energy saving bulbs in the house you can grow just about anything. No need for fancy grow lights. I winter over a fig tree under 4 watt LED bulbs. It even produces fruit with those lights and I end up getting two harvests a year off of it.
Huh... I will have to try to over winter it then.

The nasturtium is so great since we eat the flowers as well as the leaves.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. How wonderful that you now have your farm, even better when you get the 5 acres next to you. On my list of chicken breeds in the White Rocks and because I think they are so pretty, Jubilee Orpingtons. I have no chickens right now, gave them to a disabled couple because I'll be moving in the spring and needed to cut down. I love to garden and will be looking forward to pictures of your gardening.

Old hens make the best broth and I can the meat. Rich and full of flavor, it makes the best chicken salad, soup or whatever you use chicken in. many of us here do a lot of canning and will be glad to help you any way we can.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome! And glad you joined ;) everyone here has been very welcoming, non-judgmental and FULL of knowledge.

We have chickens that we use as layers, but there are a couple that get an extra snuggle or two but if I had to eat them I would!