HarborFreightTools 45 Watt Solar Panel - Should I Keep It?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
HFT had this on sale for $199. I also had a 20% off any single item coupon, so it made it $160. I've always had a love affair with solar and was thinking it would be cool to have it charge a few 12 v. car batteries to have as an emergency (with a power inverter).

Then I realized that we don't really have power outages for longer than 2-3 hours and even if we had one longer than that, we could just fire up our cars and run the inverter off of those (worst case scenario).

So, should I return them? While it is a fun toy, it is still kinda expensive and I can's see myself really using them for anything meaningful.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We use ours for a shed that is too far from the house to be cost effective to run electricity. With a small deep cycle battery, it has been working well since purchased last year. The two lights are not the best, especially if you walk into the shed out of the bright sunlight, but it sure beats having to use a flashlight, especially at night.

Instead of using it for charging batteries and using an inverter, a better value might be a small (2000w) generator. It wouldn't cost that much more, it would be more efficient, and being portable you could do more with it. IMHO

Mark

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'd keep it.

I also have a shed that I can't run electrical to. I have been watching the prices on these.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'd put it out on my coop, we're using a heavy-duty cord for out there right now, it would be nice to get rid of it - even I have to duck, nevermind hubby! Then again, I doubt it would power the fount heater.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nifty said:
HFT had this on sale for $199. I also had a 20% off any single item coupon, so it made it $160. I've always had a love affair with solar and was thinking it would be cool to have it charge a few 12 v. car batteries to have as an emergency (with a power inverter).

Then I realized that we don't really have power outages for longer than 2-3 hours and even if we had one longer than that, we could just fire up our cars and run the inverter off of those (worst case scenario).

So, should I return them? While it is a fun toy, it is still kinda expensive and I can's see myself really using them for anything meaningful.
Nifty the true test of should you keep it is---are you ever truly going to use it!? If yes, then use it......if no, it was a whim buy, then return it, get your money, and then spend that money truly on something you will use......like a generator or whatever.

If you use it then money well spent. If you don't use it then it just becomes more junk and money wasted...LOL

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
The general thinking is if you buy a solar panel it will last x amount of years with use. If you buy and don't use it right away, when you do begin to use it the time it will last begins then. We have a panel that we will test this theory with, bought in 2001 and it's been in the packaging since. ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You could think like Sylvie, but at the same time, if you wait years to use it, technology never sleeps, and they will come out with a better one, and quite possibly, with them becoming more popular, the price might just come down.

My theory is if you don't use it--it is just clutter, but that's just me--my dh has a different way of looking at things. :)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I returned it. I just realized it was more of an impulse / fun purchase than a practical / need purchase.

I was going to get a small generator while I was there and still had my 20% off coupon, but even then decided to do more research before jumping in.

Thanks everybody! I know solar is in my future, but I should go about this the right way.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea Nifty I am the same way......I know solar is in my future but I don't want to dollar myself to death buying less than what I need to do a job right......I know what you mean!!!

I have my neighbor Dave (he is a licensed builder/contractor) checking into a true solar powered water heater situation for me. That way I know it will be done right and the way it will last for me. If I do it by jury-rigging sale solar panels etc...LOL...I know I would do something quite wrong..HA HA