hard boiled eggs

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone have a surefire way to cook hard boiled eggs so they peel easily and not take half the egg with it?

I have tried quite a few ways that I found on the internet and not one of them was consistent. I would love to peel an egg and have it come out nice all the time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just did hard boiled eggs yesterday. I let them sit on the counter for three days, then put them in a apot of water and broght it to a boil. Once boiling, I remove the lid, reduce to minimum, and simmer for 18 minutes. Take out immediately and run cold water over them. (I sit them in a bowl and change the water frequently, since we have to truck in our water, so we are frugal with our water.) After they have cooled, peel immediately and use as you wish.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have a complete answer, but eggs that are too fresh are sometimes difficult to peel. After about five days to a week the membrane separates better, when the egg is boiled.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Month old eggs practically fall out of the shell. I mark a couple of cartons and save them for deviled eggs. If I am serving to guests, I want them to look perfect!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Vinegar or baking soda added to the water helps a bunch. Immediately rinsing with cool helps a bunch. Good luck!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Somebody (maybe reinbeau?) posted a link to BYC about a sure fire method for peeling boiled fresh eggs.

You bring the water to a boil, add a little salt. Then add the eggs, gently. Cook for 14 minutes then rapidly chill the eggs in cold water until they are cool enough to handle. They peel like magic.

I used to use vinegar, plus I cooked the eggs the day before & let them sit in the vinegar water overnight. The shells kinda dissolved, so they were a lot easier to peel. But the cold water method works wonders.

Found it! http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3870&p=2

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As k0xxx and freemotion said, older eggs peel easier. Also, I cook (water to a boil, then reduce heat) my eggs for 15 minutes, pour off hot water, run cold water in pot as I crack each egg several times. Then let them set in cold water for a few minutes (change out water if you have to). They peel perfectly. I usually keep a doz. boiled and peeled in the fridge for hubby's snacks. He eats ham, cheese, and boiled eggs for lunch - part of his low carb regimen.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Month old eggs practically fall out of the shell. I mark a couple of cartons and save them for deviled eggs. If I am serving to guests, I want them to look perfect!
Speaking of deviled eggs, if you lay the egg carton on it's side the day before, most of the yokes will be perfectly centered.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
freemotion said:
Speaking of deviled eggs, if you lay the egg carton on it's side the day before, most of the yokes will be perfectly centered.
Cool tip, thanx for that!

Latest posts