Hard water/laundry issue

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It worked! It worked! I washed my old smelly kitchen towels and dishcloths and put salt in the wash and now they smell good. I was so excited I ran outside, made hubby stop the mower, and stuck a dishcloth in his face. He just looked stupified, I should have known he wouldn't get it. But the main thing is IT WORKS! Thanks wifezilla and all you other brainiacs. :weee :weee :ya :celebrate :weee

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Marianne said:
No Kidding! I couldn't figure out why the dish towels were looking worse all the time. Then I saw hubby wiping up a dribble of spilled coffee and then hanging the towel back up to dry....bless his little retarded heart.....:rolleyes:
Ahhhh, just HAD to read this to hubby...who laughed and said.."that doesn't happen around here..."
LOL! Like EVERY MORNING...and they use them on the floor too, and out in the garage...and to clean skidoo parts....ugh!
Bless his little retarded heart too:)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow -- I never considered hard water as a laundry issue. This could explain so much about my inability to get things really clean and smelling nice -- our water is crazy hard here. Thank you!

Has anyone tried salt in the dishwasher? I'm all for environmentally-friendly stuff, but the new phosphate-free dishwashing powder is truly horrible. (I'm not sure whether salt would even make a difference -- it may be an entirely separate issue.)

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use vinegar in each wash load too. I use home made detergent but have noticed that adding an aditioanal "part" of baking soda to the borax and washing soda really makes a difference in how fresh the laundry is.

We have very hard well water and the calcium tends to build up in the dish washer. I throw a couple of scoops of Tang in there and run it through a cycle. It really cleans up nice. I hadn't thought about using that on an empty wash load, but that might help my washer...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am so glad it worked for you and :gig about hubby. Are our husbands related??? :D

I have tossed salt in the dish washer. It helps. I still have to use expensive dish washer stuff (Cascade complete Gel) or the glasses are hazy...but salt and/or vinegar does improve things. Use whatever is cheaper.