Harvest time... one of my favorites!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I hate to sound like such a Pollyanna, but I am so very thrilled by the change of each new season! My garden harvest is nearly complete and it feels so good to tick off each item in my mind and say, "It is done and it is good."

My garden was a total flop this year compared to what I had planted....weird year, weather-wise, all around. Regardless, at least some food is in the cellar, the beautiful pumpkins (harvested early, as fall has sprung early here!) are picked and probably won't be still good-looking by mid-October. I'll try to get a pic of these pumpkins, Rouge D'Etamps? on here to show you how cheerful they look.

I still have the apple harvest to put in, the venison to be procured, frozen and canned. I don't have a place of my own on which to cut firewood, so I have to buy some for now. I located a good place and also am buying castoffs from the local lumber mill for $20 a load! Can't beat that. So, soon the woodshed will be full, the cellar stocked, the garden planted with cover crops, the compost bin is already full and heaped.

Am I the only person who feels a deep satisfaction as each preparation for winter is completed? Is this the old nesting/survival instinct that appears each year at this time?

Chores that will be completed this next couple of weeks for winter prep: Insulation installed in the cellar ceiling, new tiles in the foyer and bathroom, eaves cleaned out and patched & painted, rust spots on the roofing painted as well, cold frames planted to lettuce, the rest of the garden cleaned up and tucked in for the winter, hay bales to be hauled for: winter mulch, pumpkin display/selling, dog beds, nest box filling, under the house insulation, and bow shooting/practice. Chicken coop windows covered with plastic and the rest of the coop insulation, using cardboard, to be completed. New roosts installed for my new baby flock. A window to be installed in my storage/work shed and new lighting over my workbench. Fall flowers to be gathered and dried in the attic. Wood hauled, cut and stacked. Wood stove replaced in the living room, better heat shield installed behind the stove, furniture moved around to accommodate the return of the stove.

Sorry to drone on and on, but this is one of my most favorite times of the year....when I actually feel like getting busy and bustling around to get my nest ready for winter. What do you guys do extra to prepare for fall and winter? :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Bekissed, I feel the way you do. We had a really good growing season, up until about a month ago. It didn't rain for over 3 weeks, then rained 4.5" in 2 days. I can't complain. The freezer and canning closet is almost full. Probably the only things I have left to put up is pumkin, sweet potatoes and pears. I will still get a few tomatoes, but for the most part, the garden is ready to be cut up. I do keep a spot for planting brocolli, cauliflower, brussels and spinich. That area needs to be worked up and planted now.

This is the time of the year that we start looking around for the things we neglected during harvest season. Some landscaping, shop wiring, greenhouse organizing, seed ordering and of course, planning for next year's garden. We are also planning a couple of camping trips.

For the really cold winter months (Mid Nov. - Mid Feb.), I have stocked up on a few good books to read. By the end of Feb., it will be time to get in the greenhouse. I supply a couple of farmers and several friends and family members with veggies sets (tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, etc.) Last year was my first year doing that and I sold over $1300.00 worth of stuff. It was alot of fun and very rewarding.

Oh, BTW, I love Pollyanna.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would love to have a greenhouse, at least a small one. I plan to sell some perennials and herbs sets this spring, if possible. Those are impossible to get around here and a wise person on TEG suggested that I be the first to start providing these! :)

I'm glad there are others out there who are still thrilled with the very simple pleasures of a complete harvest. Also the pleasure of planning a new one!

Did you get into your greenhouse in a small way, little by little, or did you just decide one day to purchase the materials, build, and become a business?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I too love the harvest! Fall is my favorite time of year, mostly because I get so much done. The crisp air seems to motivate me to do more.

I was very lucky this year, even with a bad storm, I had a bumper crop garden. I have been lucky enough to fill my pantry with lots of canned goods and the freezer with more. I still have plenty of tomatoes coming and I continue to do spaghetti sauce and salsa on an almost daily basis. ( I put up 12 quarts of spaghetti sauce again today. ) Much of the extra will go to family and friends.

This weekend we are splitting wood. DH has it cut up into chunks and the boys and I split and stack it. That is my plan for tomorrow anyway. It is still in the 80's here today. I was hoping for cooler weather this weekend, but it will come soon enough.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I would love to have a greenhouse, at least a small one. I plan to sell some perennials and herbs sets this spring, if possible. Those are impossible to get around here and a wise person on TEG suggested that I be the first to start providing these! :)

I'm glad there are others out there who are still thrilled with the very simple pleasures of a complete harvest. Also the pleasure of planning a new one!

Did you get into your greenhouse in a small way, little by little, or did you just decide one day to purchase the materials, build, and become a business?
My greenhouse is an 8x20 Rion Green Giant. We started talking about one about 3 years ago. That year I ended up having to have major surgery, so we forgot about it for a while. Last year, we talked seriously about it again. We found a kit online and ordered it. In a couple of months, I would like to get a "holding house" to use after the plants get big enough to tolerate colder temps. I really don't want to be a "big business." The bulk of what I grow is pre-ordered, but I always do plenty of extras. You would be surprised at how many people called simply by word of mouth.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, this is my fav. time of year! And it does feel good to accomplish things that will help your family.

I tend to do more work this time of year b/c the temps are cooler. I cant' stand heat, and roasting in the summer sun all day. Plus I get a little kick 'n the butt b/c I realize I didn't do enough all summer, and winter's going to be here SOON. Too soon!

There's alot to be done here. I've been hoping all summer that DH would help me w/ the big jobs. Now we're running out of time. Looks like I'm on my own.

I have a little more to do on the chicken run. I just finished up the nest boxes in the coop yesterday. Since we have two laying of the spring chicks, I'm sure the rest will be any day now.

I have to insulate under the house. Last year was our first winter in this house, and the floor was like ice. We wore shoes all winter. I like to be able to walk around in socks/slippers. I have the insulation, just needs to be stapled up. I dread going under the house though b/c I'm scared of snakes/lizards/spiders crawling across me! If it were nice 'n bright and light under there I wouldn't mind.. but it's dark and damp! So I may wait 'til it's colder out so they're at least slower moving! Eeeeeek! (big baby here)

I have to (was hoping DH would help w/ this) rebuild the well house, as DH's dad backed into it w/ his truck this spring, and ripped the front right off of it. We had problems w/ the pipes freezing up last year, and w/ the front ripped off, there's no hope! Would've been nice if FIL would've helped w/ this since he's the idiot who ran into it. (sorry, he's a jerk, and I don't have much respect for him, I don't usually talk like that about elders, but he's earned it)

Then I need to insulate all the pipes, and hopefully that'll keep them from freezing up. DH wanted to get heat tape, but my ex H is a firefighter and I remember many house fires started by heat tape, so that scares me.

Then apples! I'll freeze and can what I can.

All this in the next two months, plus two conferences to attend out of town. And full weekends of weddings. Sept's very busy for us for work. So I'll probably be scrambling come end of Oct to get stuff done! But that's also the time we kick into gear to book holiday business. Guess I should've gotten my housework done in the Spring b4 it got too hot!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tonight we built a fire up in the orchard, spread blankets, and counted shooting stars. This is one of our favorite things and it seems to be the best right at the beginning of the fall season. The smell of the smoke, the chilly air and the diamond-bright stars are intoxicating to the senses.

We talked about all the different directions my boys will be going soon and how we will stay in touch. I have two that will be going west soon...far, far west! I'm so excited for them, as I have always wanted to go and never got the chance.

The fall bugs singing, the smell of the apples and the just-perfect fire were wonderful. One of the dogs and the cat came and joined us on the blankets. Maybe the last fall when we can all be together like that, I don't know. I just know that I thank God for the changing of the seasons...even the changing seasons of our lives. Each one so necessary for the next, and so very different and beautiful in its own way! I saw two shooting stars...one for each boy. Want to guess what I wished for? :)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
awwww. beekissed, thanks so much for sharing that! Very touching!