Has anybody else seen this?!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I think they need to reorganize the schools we have now, before they make students attend more of it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:welcome, Ninny!

I read the article. I've read the research, too, for more school. Personally, I would be all for year-round school with many more and longer breaks in between. Summer can be difficult for families, including those of us who work from home. It's a great time for vacation, but I would also love time to vacation with my kids in fall and spring.

Mainly, though, kids spend a lot of time making up what they've lost. Last summer, I got my kids fun workbooks and other learning activities to help keep their brains nimble during summer. But, they KNOW it's summer and they do not want to work on ANYthing resembling school during that time.

My son (4th week of school) and his class are still doing review work from last year and not to the point of learning anything new yet. What a waste of time.

I do NOT agree with longer school days. I DO agree with more days of school in the year, or at least spreading them out more evenly.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I grew up in Germany. Our school days weren't as long but we went to school monday through Saturday and our summer vacation was only 6 weeks.
I don't know about having longer school days, but I think shorter summer vacations would be a good idea.
I also think schools should be open longer in the day, so students can stay after school to do their work in a safe environment. Especially since both parents work in so many cases.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I don't have kids in school any more. And I agree that most kids do not work the agri fields any more. However, there are still sections of the country that the kids are needed at home to work the fields. This will be tough on those families that depend on summer help from their kids. Heavy farming communities still exist. I wonder if there will be some type of compromise for different sections of the country. Maybe longer days for farming communities instead of an extended school year.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I elected to take summer school during my high school years to give me a leg up in credits and standing. All my courses were college prep advanced placement and it was a good move. Kept me focused and out of mischief.
I understand the concept and approve of it.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I think our public school system is terribly flawed, they need to fix some things before they make students endure even longer amounts of it.

I 'go' to school online, some students are parents with teens kids, some teen parents, teens that work all day, etc. School is in 'session' the entire day, everyday. Although the requirements and curriculum is somewhat similar to public, it works far better because there is that much more time allowed to learn everything. Not everyone learns the same way which is also one reason public schools don't do as well. But yes, I can definitely see an advantage to having school throughout the summer also.

The public school I used to go to, as horrid as it was, also allowed students to leave for helping in the fields.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
:welcome, Ninny!

I read the article. I've read the research, too, for more school. Personally, I would be all for year-round school with many more and longer breaks in between. Summer can be difficult for families, including those of us who work from home. It's a great time for vacation, but I would also love time to vacation with my kids in fall and spring.

Mainly, though, kids spend a lot of time making up what they've lost. Last summer, I got my kids fun workbooks and other learning activities to help keep their brains nimble during summer. But, they KNOW it's summer and they do not want to work on ANYthing resembling school during that time.

My son (4th week of school) and his class are still doing review work from last year and not to the point of learning anything new yet. What a waste of time.

I do NOT agree with longer school days. I DO agree with more days of school in the year, or at least spreading them out more evenly.
I agree with you, both as a parent and a public school employee. I would love to see year-round school with breaks more frequently. My son's second grade class is doing the review deal too, as are many of the classes in the school where I work. Since I am home with him all summer I'm able to work with him a little so that he at least retains everything from the year before. Before the end of the summer we are all more than ready to go back!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My daughter started out in year-round school, so that the kids had three months in school, one month off. It was the same time spent in school, but the new year started in July and we had October, February, and June off. It was great for travel -- traveling on the off season is always nicer, IMO. And brush-up after the break was much shorter than with a full summer break. The downside was that a lot of friends were still in school in the off months, and there weren't any good summer camps or other activities going on for a lot of her off time. She had this schedule for K through 2nd or 3rd, I think, and then the school switched back to a traditional schedule.

I can't say I'm a big fan of MORE school for kids though -- for public school, anyway, they get plenty of the limited curriculum taught. I wouldn't want my kid to endure more of that, unless the extra time would bring back education in music, art, history, and science.

Latest posts