Has anyone calculated the alternatives

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just saw this months power bill. 1057 kw (our dishwasher also died so I think this contributed along with the warm weather).

No to shabby! A new best for us!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Last year on 3/10 we were using 1048 KWH, this year on the same date~784 KWH. And to be quite frank, this is more than we usually use. I have a few energy wasters in the house right now, so I'm trying to get a handle on them! :he

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope to be on similiar usage with you next year Beekissed!

We have 3 security lights outside and I'm hoping to find solar powered alternative this year to further reduce our usage.

It's getting to be kind of fun to figure out other ways to save. DH and DD are even becoming more enthusiastic!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Gettin, I got better savings on security lights when I switched to motion sensor lights. That way they only come on when there is a reason. The one I had wired right onto my porch light fixture and you could direct it towards where it did the most good.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed,

We switched 2 of them to motion detectors. They are out by the wood shed and we have such a lot of animals that they constantly turn on.

My "fantasy" is to have solar powered motion detector security lights. (Say that 3 times real fast) I don't know if such a thing exists though since I haven't started looking around yet.

The other "security light" is more like a street light that runs directly off of our power. It just kills me!

I keep threatening to shoot it out with a BB or pellet gun, but then DH threatens to shoot me with the BB or pellet gun. LOL. So I just leave it. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That would drive me crazy! To pay for a light that I didn't request would make me mad. I get what you are saying about the animals setting off the motion sensor lights, they are pretty sensitive.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It does drive me crazy! LOL
But DH is the one who put it up!! He refuses to take it down

To be honest we do need the lighting, but I don't think we need that much. I'm trying to take him into at least having something smaller.

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
The other "security light" is more like a street light that runs directly off of our power. It just kills me!
We have one that is "provided" by our electric co-op. I like the light, just don't like the $6.00 a month charge for having their "provided" light.

Our co-op also owns the T.V. tower. I have satellite t.v but yet I have to pay $5.00 a month because I am able to receive the signal.

My dish also has my local stations... so I am paying for twice for a few of the channels :/

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Beekissed,

We switched 2 of them to motion detectors. They are out by the wood shed and we have such a lot of animals that they constantly turn on.

My "fantasy" is to have solar powered motion detector security lights. (Say that 3 times real fast) I don't know if such a thing exists though since I haven't started looking around yet.

I keep threatening to shoot it out with a BB or pellet gun, but then DH threatens to shoot me with the BB or pellet gun. LOL. So I just leave it. LOL
Real Goods has a solar motion detector light that I've wanted for a few years :
http://www.realgoods.com/p2p/search...lar+motion+detector&sortby=bestSellers&page=1

I'm not ready to pay $89 for it yet.