Has anyone ever grown sweet potatoes in pots?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have four pots redy and waiting for me to put something in them. Originally, I was thinking of doing weppt potatoes in them. theya re about 15" wide, and I was wondering how many slips to put in them. I have never grown them before, but I know reccomendations are 12 inches apart, if in rows. could I get away with putting two or three slips in each pot, or would that be too much? or should i just put them in the garden and get the pots redy for reg poatoes.

Also, how many potatoes coul I expect to get from one plant? (either variety)
Thx!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I planted two slips in one large Rubbermaid last year, waited the appointed 180 days, and -- well, I will let my bountiful harvest speak for itself.

Picture299.jpg

The tub was way too small.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was actually wondering the same thing. Ds brought home sweet 'tater plant from school for mother's day. At least I think that is what it is! He also brought home a cabbage plant this spring from school provided by Bonnie to third graders. His teacher is really into teaching them about composting and such. I really appreciate that.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So coincidental: Remember that guy on public TV who used to do the show The Victory Garden? Well, it aired out of Boston, so it may have just been a local show. I think his name was Crockett. Anyway, he wrote a book years ago on gardening.

So I'm at my neighbors yesterday and he had that book and I was browsing through it, and saw a photo and caption of Sweet Potatoes being grown in a pretty planter. I said, "Wow, I never thought of that" but kept flipping, so I didn't read the specifics on how. He was known for proving that "anyone could grow anything anywhere".

So I know it can be done, but not sure how. If you can't find anything let me know and I can go look at my neighbor's book and see if it tells how. Common sense would tell me the bigger the pot the better.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
LauraJean said:
So coincidental: Remember that guy on public TV who used to do the show The Victory Garden? Well, it aired out of Boston, so it may have just been a local show. I think his name was Crockett. Anyway, he wrote a book years ago on gardening.

So I'm at my neighbors yesterday and he had that book and I was browsing through it, and saw a photo and caption of Sweet Potatoes being grown in a pretty planter. I said, "Wow, I never thought of that" but kept flipping, so I didn't read the specifics on how. He was known for proving that "anyone could grow anything anywhere".

So I know it can be done, but not sure how. If you can't find anything let me know and I can go look at my neighbor's book and see if it tells how. Common sense would tell me the bigger the pot the better.
Jim Crockett! I swear the show hasn't been the same since....
It did air out of Boston but I thought it aired nationwide at some point. It does now, doesn't it?
Anyway, I'm sure my father has that book somewhere..... if you could see my father's bookshelves you'd know where I get my book addiction from. :rolleyes:
That's where I got my SS roots!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am growing some in feed bags and some in a big little tykes tox box painted black for extra heat. No idea how that will work out, but since it only cost me $3 for the toy box and "grow bags" were free, even a pathetic harvest will be fine :D

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am growing some in feed bags and some in a big little tykes tox box painted black for extra heat. No idea how that will work out, but since it only cost me $3 for the toy box and "grow bags" were free, even a pathetic harvest will be fine :D
oooooh, I have a little tykes toy box, I was wondering where to put potatoes, I have raised gardens that are only 6" deep, I already have pumpkin in the big leaf compost pile and watermelon around the mail box.......thanks for the idea!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh, and FYI, I had bought regular sweet potatoes, and organic. Both were treated,-- I bought the organic ones after the other ones didn't sprout. Just b/c, I left them and forgot about them on the window ledge. After a very long time, they did end up sprouting. So, I've decided to put them in the ground and leave the containers for soemthing else.

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
where did you get all the dirt for the toy box? I may have to go find some somewhere.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I used aged compost in the bottom and then added some top soil and peat moss. I have had to buy dirt this year because of all the growing beds I added.

Latest posts