Has anyone here toilet trained a cat?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am seriously considering toilet training my cats. I have three of them, all indoor. I'm TIRED of the cost of kitty litter. The stuff that actually does a good job on the odor is just too expensive.

So - toilet training. I've read as many sites as I can find, watched videos, read tutorials, and poured over the marketing materials for all the products that are sold to help train. I do believe I'll make my own materials. No need to spend $40 on flimsy plastic pieces. A piece of thin plywood with some edges will do just as well.

Has anyone here done that? I'd love some additional stories if they're out there. Wish me success!

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I did it. A long time ago. Taught Bo to flush too. Put a little wet food on the flush handle and he nosed it till it flushed. LOVED that cat.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am in the process of teaching my 3 now. The best advice I can give is baby steps and patience. It is extra work but the end result will be great!
I say go for it. What do you have to lose?
Best of luck to ya,
Nancy

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Look in medical supply stores.. they have things for measuring urine output at hospitals. they sit right in the bowl. with a bit of a rig with your wood they would be sturdy enuf for kitty but the plastic "hat" would keep the wood from becoming icky.
They sent me home with some after a surgery to make sure that what was going in was coming out properly.. (lots of measuring and note taking haha) they can't be that expensive. I'm sure that they can be found.
Poo.. just wandered thru Amazon and couldn't find what they are called.
Or find them there..

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a cat that trained himself.... don't know why he decided to start either. Sorry, no help, but it can be done!