Has anyone lost faith in the media?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SS people seem far more practical thinkers to me so I'm curious to hear opinions on the media.

I've discovered I have lost the ability to get worried about things happening in the world (other than the economy collapsing and destruction of the environment, both of which are actualities.)
Something happens and the media screams "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" . It started for me with Y2K. Then Mad cow, then bird flu - there's a ton more but I haven't finished my coffee. The point is they have cried wolf at me so many times I can't take them seriously anymore. Someday when the wolf arrives it'll probably kill me because I've ceased to listen.

Why aren't they screaming about Monsanto or the Hadron Collider?
(Yes, I know the odds of the collider taking out the whole planet are teeny but IMO any odds greater than absolute ZERO means they should not flip the switch. For crying out loud a stray bird shut the thing down!)

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else is feeling more apathetic as each media fueled 'crisis' occurs. Of course I don't want to see anyone having to suffer for any reason, but I find I just can't panic over anything I see on the news.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Not me, I never really *had* the type of "faith in the media" that you seem to be describing :p

I don't think it's just the media though, I think it's an equal collaboration between the media and the people :>

Pat

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
My dad always use to tell me, "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see."

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Media is changing. Some for the good and some for the bad. People are used to getting their media from one or two sources. Now it is available anywhere and anytime.

Media is a business and they make their money on ratings. Can a media source who derives it income from Monstano report against it? Some will. Many wont.

Media isn't just media...it is also PR firms, politicians and lawyers.

So what do you do? Try to find your own sources rather than letting some anchor spoon feed you. If you read an article, periodically CHECK THE SOURCE MATERIAL. Learn to ferret out reality from hype. Look for agendas behind the reporting.

Example, loads of article came out over the last few months reporting that high fructose corn syrup is "the same" as sugar. Many of the stories contained almost word for word sentences from a PR release by the corn refiners association.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Media to me is the same

horrible takes center stage
weather for your area is important
local stuff to help you understand your area

nah, media to me is what it is....I think as we age we SEE it more.

In my 20s I never watched the news, I know Mom did, and would comment on stuff I never knew about.........in my 30s I barely watched it, 40s a little.....45 to 49 (right now...watched and hate what I see LOL)

49 plus----get the scoop on what is important, hear the big stories that are global effects etc and screw the rest.

I have a life to lead....a personal life.....I don't let what happens in micro worlds effect me too much cause I truly can't do alot bout it.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On one of the Big Three Network Morning shows they had a film clip of children playing in a playground in the Ukraine... And the voice over said "There have been no deaths, that can be directly linked to the disaster in Chernbyl"

WHAT!!!
faint.gif

I know personally a family whose son died of leukemia, the father had several types of cancers from living in the area of the disaster. I about called our local station to say "What is the deal here? Do they think we are that stupid?"

It may not be "Panic Time" yet, but the possibility is very high that many (especially those trying to contain the possibility of explosions in the reactors) will indeed get too much exposure to radiation. Only time will telll how this will play out.

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
2 years ago I quit listening to all the "talking heads" Beck, O'Reilly, Olberman, etc. etc. and my blood pressure dropped instantly. I watch the semi-local news and get a local paper to get stuff that pertains to my immediate area. I use the internet for most national stuff and use a variety of sources both American and International to help filter out the "bias" I lost faith in the media a long time ago. They don't report news, they report "opinions" and try to pass it off as news.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Not me, I never really *had* the type of "faith in the media" that you seem to be describing :p

I don't think it's just the media though, I think it's an equal collaboration between the media and the people :>

Pat
Ditto LOL.

My dad had us tear news stories apart when I was younger. I was raised that there is a difference between fact and story, even if the story is "true".

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Some media uses the news to make money. So they sensationalize things that really aren't too sensational. Other types of media use their voice for changing the country to fit the needs of their owners. Often they don't earn any money at all. They just acquire power for the owners. In other words propaganda in it's truest form.

I find that people are going to believe whatever they want to believe. So it doesn't really matter. If they want to believe the sky is green they will believe that. I do appreciate factual reporting though vs opinion reporting. I wish more people realized how misleading and manipulative the media is capable of being.