Has anyone reused their flat lids for canning?

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I collect them- especially the blue ones! I love them. But the seals are gone or shot, so I just use the for short term dry goods storage.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can usually get the rings at our local hardware store, but they are expensive.
I use a pressure canner, but I normally process only veg, so no 90 minute times for me. If I were to process venison, I wouldn't use them.

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't have any of the old jars that have the glass top and you use rubber rings on. But dad had them and used them in the water bath and the pressure canner. Many a Chicken, Beef, Venison etc was canned in them. I still have 1 package of wide mouth rubber rings, that I have no use for.

DO NOT pressure can any jars with scratches. DO NOt pressure can any jars that have had metal spoons in them to scrape out the last little bit, even if you can't see scratches.

Have had the bottom fall out of cans of tomatoes many many years ago when taking them from a water bath and being burned. This is the result of scratches in the jar from metal.

No metal is allowed anywhere near any of my canning jars. My family knows not to mess with my canning jars.

I regularly used the regular new and old, old quart jars with metal lids and rings in the pressure canner when canning chili, beef stew, chili beans, etc.

That is what they are made for, pressure canning as well as waterbath canning. THey can also be frozen. The only jars I don't use for canning are lip chipped and scratched. We haven't had a scratched jar though since the tomato issue. I quess I ranted and raved enough.

My grown children still use plastic spoons in store bought Jams and jellies in their homes. Isn't that the proper way to scoop jams? Of course it is in my house.

I just received my 6 dozen reg Tattler Reusable canning Lids. My sister had a few back in the 70's and never or couldn't get rings for them later, she loved them. I'll clean out my freezer next week and make up some jams and try them out. I don't do much pressure canning anymore but if I don't have to keep buying lids, maybe I'll start up again.

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have in the past reused canning lids for jams. But I would rather reuse the Tattler Lids. If my sis liked them I'm sure I will too.

Deciding how many to get though, is a problem. Sis always bought reg lids by the case. I usually bought a dozen of each size. When I got low I bought somemore. When I went to Wal-mart to do just that, they were out of Reg size lids and were restocking but no lids came in. So I ordered the Tattlers.

So, how many lids do people stock? or should this be another thread?

Don't mean to take over your tread, just thought to keep lid info all together.

You'd think after all these years of canning, I'd have that answer. But I quess its going to depend on how much you can and how fast the canned goods get used. Going from a family of 5 down to the 2 of us, I'm just not sure. I know I don't need 144 of each size of Tattlers., I don't think. Like I said, not having to constantly buy lids I may end up canning more.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you the company has great service. I ordered some lids last night, and I got an email today saying they have been shipped!