Has anyone reused their flat lids for canning?

blueskylen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just ordered some of those Tattler lids - i sure hope that they work as long as they say. i did order an extra dozen rubber rings too.

i would be afraid to use the metal lids more than once - there is hardly enough rubber on them anymore to seal even the first time. i bet if you compared them to the ones made 10 years ago that there would be a lot more rubber on the old ones.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't trust myself enough--don't think I'll get the right seal. HOWEVER, if you use a jar for dry storage, so you can see what is in it, you COULD clean and reuse the lid. For example, DD's came back from vacation in 2009 with a partial box of prepackaged sugar packets. I stored them in a quart jar using a cleaned up used lid. They'll probably stay there for YEARS, but it will save some money next time we need to the same. :D

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes you can buy just the rubbers at 2.50 a dozen .I have some and the lids are made different from the metal ones.I really dont think it could work with the metal lids.

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I reuse the metal ones but check for bends in metal or pokes of any kind. I don't use them on things like pickles were another canning session would over cook them or things that take a long amount of canning time. You will know if they don't the lid will come off after taking the ring off with just alittle pulling. I have only had a time or two it has not seeled and i was knew i was pushing it but was out of lids and it was late at night. I just pop the one in the fridge and eat on that or redo it with new lid.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My samples finally arrived, but with spring babies, spring weeding, and spring planting, I haven't canned anything....but as soon as I do, you will get my report! I hope I like them....if so, I will buy a few whenever I can.

The metal lids are lined with bpa, so you really can't win....unless you can use the old glass lidded jars with rubber rings. I don't dare put them through my pressure canner, so I use the antique jars for dry storage and for fermented stuff.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
....unless you can use the old glass lidded jars with rubber rings. I don't dare put them through my pressure canner, so I use the antique jars for dry storage and for fermented stuff.
Why? It has been a couple of years since I used mine since it is difficult to find the rings, but I have never even thought about them being not safe. What info have I missed?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I pressure can almost exclusively, and I am afraid the older jars won't hold up. I'd hate to lose them along with the food. I'd love to hear from someone who puts quart jars in the pressure canner for 90 minutes with good results, though, so I could get brave. These jars are so old, though, and a bit scratched.

TL, I get the rubber rings at local hardware and feed stores that carry canning supplies. Store them in an airtight container or heavy duty ziploc when not in use and they will last a lot longer. I love the look of these jars in my fridge with homemade condiments and fermented stuff and grated feta and such, and in my cupboards with all my dried herbs, etc.