Has anyone used these before?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No I haven't ever used these, but what a brilliant idea! :clap I use cages, which are too short and the tomatoes grow 5'-6' tall, fall over and make a mess. I use stakes and have to keep tying the vines to them. I like this idea!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This year, I tried the Florida weave. My plants were growing too fast to keep up w/it. Plus, they were getting tall! So, I just put strings up the rest of the way on the posts. That kinda sorta worked. Next year, I already have something I'm going to be trying and it won't cost me a dime.

I grow my tomatoes in a double row-I get more plants in for less space. I get my posts from the woods next door-red cedar. I'll be sticking a double row of them in the ground, then putting up old baling twine on one on the inside. Then, as the plants grow, I'll put twine in front of the plants. I may also tie from the front to the back. So, basically, it would look like this-the Xs are the plants, the lines are the twine.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks similar to what the U-Pick Raspberry farms do around here to support their canes.

I can see that being a very good way to support your tomatoes-- maybe 3 wires at different heights on each side of the plants, and you wouldn't need to tie them, just gently layer them on the supports. Or maybe use small branches or pieces of scrap wood instead of wire, so the tomato plants would have wider supports that wouldn't cut into the plant with added weight.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to just go the woods and cut young 'trash' trees with lots of limbs and stuck them in the ground as the tomatos grew each side shoot was wrapped around a limb while the main leader climbed the trunk. Clean up was easy just push into a pile and burn them.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That does look neat. I mean, you can walk completely around each plant. I can't do that because I have to use raised beds....flood zone. Mine are currently growing up on cattle panels. I like the way that worked out for us.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
That does look neat. I mean, you can walk completely around each plant. I can't do that because I have to use raised beds....flood zone. Mine are currently growing up on cattle panels. I like the way that worked out for us.
I like the cattle panel idea too.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you have space, just let them sprawl. Makes clean-up easier.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
If you have space, just let them sprawl. Makes clean-up easier.
If you don't mind crawling in the ground for them. I did some cages and some sprawled. I ripped the sprawling ones out. I don't like squatting with a big preggers belly to get them. :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wind is always blowing here so I would have to have 2 per plant. Always blowing..........