Hatch with me: WHODAT?

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom has a sportsman incubator at her house. It is always running. I have been hatching like crazy. I am getting ready to put my Cayuga eggs in there this week. I just love being able to hatch out my own birds.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Buff Puff...is that a Little Giant brand bator I spy? If so, just a heads up, they are notorious for being hard to maintain correct humidity during hatches. Might wanna keep your eye on that.
Yes, and how do I fix that???

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have both of mine unplugged at the moment. But not for loooooong :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Day 4 is complete!! :D

I got a hydrometer and stabilized humidty at around 50% this afternoon, which is what its supposed to be according to How to Hatch Eggs

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Day 7 ends tonight! I debating on candling tomorrow, any opinions?

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We don't candle ours until we move them to a hatcher. I think the less you handle them the better but that is just us. I know a lot of people that candle them all the time. I also have known people that have dropped the eggs during candling them.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im sort of on the fence about it......I'd like to see how they are and maybe weed out some rotten eggs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I ALWAYS wait till day 10. The embryo is usually large enough to see easily on day 10, and blood rings and such are more visible so they can be weeded out then too. If you have a questionable egg, sniff it...not too close though because if it is going you can smell it from a few inches away anyway. You don't want to snort too much of the lovely aroma :lol: If it doesn't smell off, stick it back in and make sure there isn't something growing in there on day 15 or so. I have had them look almost empty on day 10 and then take off shortly afterward and hatch just fine.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im starting get an aroma in my room that I whiff every now and then. Uh oh!! :rolleyes: :lol: