Hatchlings

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aren't they amazing?!! We have a dinner bell that is on a large metal post. The top of the post was opened. We finally had to close it up because the birds like to make a nest in the opening. Every time it rained, they got flooded.

Last week I opened the door to call my husband in for dinner. I saw something darting about outside and thought 'butterfly'. Oops, shut the door quick!! It got into the house. It was a Carolina Wren. Those things are fast. It went from the kitchen to the living room and hit every shelf in there. I finally cornered it under my photo albums (yes, I still have those). Poor little thing was out-of-breath. I dribbled some water in its mouth and sprinkle a tad on its head. I set it on a tree outside and within 5 minutes it was gone.

View attachment 7929

I do believe that's the momma bird. I'm almost certain, but she moves so fast, it's hard to get a positive identification.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I moved in with my ex years ago he had a newer ceiling of sorts fitted under the beams in the bedroom. The new ceiling was too short by about a foot and had a "shelf" of sorts. Somehow a little bird came into our bedroom and found the shelf and before we knew it, moved in! And made a little nest in there! And hatched and raised 2 little ones in there too! I got woken up every morning by momma bird demanding to be let out so she can go get bugs for her babies. And watched her daily coming in and out through the window, tirelessly, bringing food to them, until they were old enough to leave. I got to give it to her, she made NO mess in our house, not a single dropping.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I moved in with my ex years ago he had a newer ceiling of sorts fitted under the beams in the bedroom. The new ceiling was too short by about a foot and had a "shelf" of sorts. Somehow a little bird came into our bedroom and found the shelf and before we knew it, moved in! And made a little nest in there! And hatched and raised 2 little ones in there too! I got woken up every morning by momma bird demanding to be let out so she can go get bugs for her babies. And watched her daily coming in and out through the window, tirelessly, bringing food to them, until they were old enough to leave. I got to give it to her, she made NO mess in our house, not a single dropping.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! Who'da thunk - a house-broken bird!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

nice story with a happy ending

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Really nice pictures @CrealCritter! These are robin chicks I took a picture of about 10 days ago at a friend's house. Every year, there's a nest in a decorative bush they have in the front of their garage.
20180710_081523.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I found this pic on my phone. About 2 months ago I visited the famously haunted Leap castle and while exploring the famous "bloody chapel" and dungeon entrance, I found these little guys in an alcove in the wall :love

It was a delightful surprise amidst the horrible history and ghosts!

IMG_20180529_112618.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Are you sure they were really there??? ;)
LOL yes, I stroke them and loved on them for a bit :) I worried my companion actually, I went to check out the dungeon and didn't come back, because I got distracted by the baby birds. He started panicking lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL yes, I stroke them and loved on them for a bit :) I worried my companion actually, I went to check out the dungeon and didn't come back, because I got distracted by the baby birds. He started panicking lol
Sounds like something I would do but intentionally instead of distracted accidentally.