Have I gone overboard on Recycling/Reuse?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's funny. The tub I had was in my neighbors orchard. It used to be for his horse. I got my dh to drag it up the hill and we converted it. I have thought about using some other bathroom fixtures as planters. Dh was not really keen on the idea. I kinda visualized a corner of the yard set up to look like a little room. Trellises as walls. But all the fixtures would be brimming with flowers. :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
McNugget said:
:ep Maybe thats why folks think I've gone overboard, it's an herb pot not a flower pot... hmmm.... I guess I won't tell them WHICH herbs came from the bathroom fixture :duc
well... it only has fertilizer, right? no one's PEED in the herbs... :lol:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First off.....to McNugget....:welcome

I have seen toilets, tubs & standing sinks reused in gardens so it is kinda common...atleast around here.

When DH replaced our front door & frame, I reused the old frame for a raised bed for my strawberries.

Dace...as for the toilet bowl salad...once a friend used a plastic hospital bed pan for a salad bowl & urinal for the dressing...(yes a very sick minded person :lol: )

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When my dad had to replace their toilet, he put the old one, tank and all beside their front steps. I filled the bowl and tank with soil and planted flowers - vines from the tank. It was pretty - Mom hated it! I wanted to get another for the other side of the steps, but she made us move the first one. I've seen metal bed frames in the yard with flowers growing in them - sign in front said "Flower Bed". :lol:

Hey as far as I'm concerned, if it holds dirt and has a drain hole -plant something it it.

My SIL once made a fish pond out of an old bathtub. (Well what do you expect - we're hillbillies!)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha ha toilet salad! :lol: We had an old cast iron tub that we were going to use as a planter. we posted under two pines that were always full of pesky squirrels. Over time it filled halfway with water and became a great squirrel trap! They'd fall in it and drown...I never knew squirrels were that clumsy until then. I never did use it as a planter, it was doing such a great job controlling the squirrel population that I just left it there for the rain to fill.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sister uses the old BBQs as flower pots, being at that height they are really attractive, your so close to the blooms as you walk her walkway. Edge is vines that cascade down the sides.

dinesh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I am really influenced by the idea of making trash to treasure. Anyway I will follow up the idea to make herb garden. but I will definitely not use toilet pan for that because I disdain to eat the herb growing in the toilet pan.

dinesh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:D That would make a great outdoor water bowl for the dog! Heck the goat would enjoy it as well!
Well,
you can use your fade bowl for the dog or you had better don't keep dog in your home because I don't like dog anyway.

bargain

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
wow, I love it. We've used old bathtubs for potatoes when we had not enough landspace. Now wait till hubby finds me dragging a toilet home:)