Haven't thought about this happening

werblessd1s

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hoarding Regulations in America
Posted April 24th, 2008 by alienlve
main stream media today is covering the current issues involving the "hoarding" of food in the states,implying that government will have to step in at some point in the near future and put enforcement into effect....here we go! i pulled up search pages but can not find actual limits, i seem to remember reading once that we were allowed a five day supply of food, but not any more than that.also how do they enforce...???home inspections???of course with martial law they will be doing house to house checks anyhow and can under martial law "rules" confiscate all our food....that much i know, that's why i always tell people, get your supplies, store in airtight containers and HIDE them......is anyone here aware of hoarding limits ??
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/46795

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hmmm.. never heard of anything about it.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. Well, my tin foil hat is pretty well-worn, :lol: but even I think that that might be a little on the paranoid side. Now I do know that there have been limits put on how much stuff you can buy at the store--like when stores were short on rice you couldn't buy but so many bags/pounds--but that's different and I'm not sure who imposed those rules (if it were the gov't. or the stores themselves).

All kinds of crazy regulations exist, but many would/could never be enforced. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if something like this is "on the books", but I can't imagine it actually happening...

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
BrookValley said:
Wow. Well, my tin foil hat is pretty well-worn, :lol: but even I think that that might be a little on the paranoid side. Now I do know that there have been limits put on how much stuff you can buy at the store--like when stores were short on rice you couldn't buy but so many bags/pounds--but that's different and I'm not sure who imposed those rules (if it were the gov't. or the stores themselves).

All kinds of crazy regulations exist, but many would/could never be enforced. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if something like this is "on the books", but I can't imagine it actually happening...
I believe it was Bill Clinton who said (made Federal law, states have different laws - might be tighter regulations) that you cannot "hoard" more than 30 days supply of food for your family.

I've tried to find Kentucky's laws on this - as I have been told by neighbors not to mention if I have a pantry or food stored up (they told me this "for my own good, to help me out") because Kentucky did indeed have a hoarding law, and someone a few years back had been prosecuted for hoarding. I don't know if they were full of it or not, but I tend to think it could happen. The Govt. is WAY too involved in our lives, IMO.

Peace -
Meriah

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Man, I would be busted big time! I buy my potatoes by the 50# bag-lasts at least three months,big bags of rice=about 6 months, enough meat and veggies in my freezer to last me till spring. I I just go to the store for milk, cheese, flour , fresh fruit and salad fixings, etc, and shop the sales.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is there anybody who doesn't have 30+ days worth of food stored? :hu I mean, even people not aware of "self-sufficiency" have pantries and canned/boxed goods, staples, etc. Wouldn't any ordinary pantry have enough food (if strecthed, probably not easy) for 30 days? Wouldn't we all be hoarders then?

I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. It would be impossible to be enforced. I guess the policy exists for cases where the gov't. may resort to martial law, a just-in-case in an extreme situation type of thing? In which case I can't imagine that the military would have enough free time to go around doing sweeps of all of our houses (and if they tried, I can't imagine the resistance they would encounter).

ETA: Ok, did a little research. Clinton did not sign any federal law about hoarding. He re-organized a bunch of earlier EOs (some pretty old, from the 30's) regarding the federal gov't being able to seize resources in a time of extreme emergency. Some of these EOs discuss seizing food stores. This was all done to centralize responsibility in a natural disaster/national emergency within FEMA. As far as I can tell, there is no federal law against hoarding. Individual states, however, may be a different story. Regardless, it's all scary.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would be busted too. I have 100lbs of hard wheat berries, 50 lbs of soft white. 45 lbs of corn & alfafa & 30lbs of peanuts in my pantry. Not to mention all the cereal I bought on fabulous sales(with coupons too). MAybe I should have dh dig a root cellar that is not findable to the naked eye with his backhoe to put my buckets in.
My question would be what about the mormon church & all they have hoarded away?

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
werblessd1s said:
Interesting read,
http://jimbovard.com/blog/2008/04/09/martial-law-act-of-2006/

Yes, I was told that Mormons always a have a year supply of food on hand.

It doesn't seem like they could take food you have grown on your own land and canned. That's not taking away from the public's supply of food.
I don't think it would matter how you came to have the food. If you bought it, it's yours and not in the public food supply anymore...If martial law is in effect and they want it, they'll take it. However, the likelihood of martial law being enacted is slim (one would hope). And those of us who are fortunate to live in less populated areas would be less affected--it would be the cities where military would be deployed to enforce martial law.

Ugh. *dons tin foil hat* :ep The more I read the nuttier I get.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I agree that people living in cities would be more apt to have this happen to them. But I also wonder if there where an event that the President declared martial law would the military be so busy that looking for food would be low on their list of activities? Keeping order would be first I would believe. Just a thought.
And as how I have accumulated my pantry stock is over time not all at once. Which I believe is how most people do it, who can afford to just go out & buy a pantry full of food at one time?

Latest posts