Having no luck with my duck project.....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Ducks do smell worse than chickens.

The pond is all covered up. The drake seems to be doing better. He put himself to bed in the duck coop alone this evening. I couldn't find him and started freaking out he was dead too, but he as just all tucked away in bed already. I noticed again today he drinks water from the dog bowl, not the pond. So he probably didn't die because he didn't drink it.

I feel bad we didn't keep that pool clean enough and that I didn't realize she was doing poorly.

And today I checked on the broody female, she was on the nest but all three eggs were not underneath her. I put them under her but sheesh, I just can't win with these ducks. I will know soon enough whether these three hatch, it should be in a few days now if it is going to happen.

I talked it over with Hubby, he isn't really interested in getting more ducks. He has been so tolerant with my desire for all these animals, if he doesn't want more ducks, I have to respect that. I'll just have this pair.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm thinking it must be, I don't know what else. I have quite a rodent population and they could have contaminated the water.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe they are genetically weak? or just not suited to your climate? I dunno :hu Sorry they didn't work out for you SD.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your ducks. I raise Cayugas. I have never had a problem with them. I have only lost three ducks in three years. Right now, I have over 20 of them running around. I hope you found out what it was. I always hate lossing any of my babies.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I never could bring myself to examine her body, my teenage son dealt with her but he "didn't see anything weird".

I had some cayugas we got with the muscovy, but they were older and rather mean, I did sell them. They liked swimming a lot and we have no natural pond so I sold them to someone who has a nice pond. I'm rather glad now, they might have died too.

I think I'm just going to incorporate these two in with my chickens and forget about a breeding program. These last two will just be pets. I do wonder if these ones were genetically designed as meaties and breeding them is like trying to breed your creepie meats.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't think so. Scovies are pretty strong in general.