Hawk Proof? Humph!!!!!!!

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost some birds. I told you I was worried about mine since the snow collapsed my tarp and netting. We are getting close to putting up the netting and tarp again. I worry every day.....

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MoonShadows, I am sorry about the hawks. They are definitely a nuisance. I have been using fishing line over my Outer Pen for the last 4-5 years. I love it and I have had no more attacks from the hawks or owls.

I hope you can see the picture. It is hard to take a picture of clear fishing line. I strung it diagonally.

Smithy Cobweb.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can see it @TexasLisa. So far, we have not had any hawk problems since we ran the flagging tape...might switch it out for fishing line.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've read before that the fishing line helps....seems to distort their visual OR make the see it and feel unsafe to land. Either way, if it works, it's golden.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally put new netting up last night. My easter eggers think nothing of flying over a 6 foot fence. So the net keeps them in and unwanted birds out

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because it would get snagged to much on the wild raspberry bushes, and if I have to go into the enclosed area I have to walk all bent over. With the flagging tape, both those things are minimized.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I prop the nets up with 2x2s so I can walk under. I have 4 inch pots on the tops to distribute the stress. I keep meaning to cut some boards and screw them to the tip. The silkie pens have 8 poles holding the net up.

20170513_193716.jpg