Hawthorn for lowering blood pressure!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After reading on various sites about using Hawthorn to lower blood pressure, I ordered some. I have been on two blood pressure medications for several years. My BP has been sneaking up and there was just a hint that they might add a third pill. AGH.

So I tried the Hawthorn - one 510 mg capsule in the morning, NO blood pressure medicines. Wow. I have been keeping a journal of my BP readings for the past two weeks. My BP has been lower taking the Hawthorn than what it has been for a couple years. Average reading is 133/70.

I feel better than I have in years since I'm not dealing w/ the side effects of the BP medicines. I really like the financial side of it, too. One $6 bottle for a three month supply vs. $125 a month for pharma drugs.

If you decide to try it, make sure you do your own research first and have a good BP cuff. Plan on taking your BP a few times a day and keep your traditional BP medicine. Do NOT take both Hawthorn and BP medicine or your blood pressure will drop to an unsafe low level. I'm starting to feel comfortable enough to just take my BP once or twice a day now. Eventually I hope to just take it occasionally, ya know?

I hope it works for you, too. :weee

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, may have to look into that :D Mine has been running a bit high at times, but not consistently, and I DON'T take meds. Period. Doctors will gladly kill you with pills :rant

So, where'd ya get it?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What part of the plant does it come from? There are a bunch of Hawthorns out front and my hubby has some issue with high blood pressure. If I could just make a tea for him once a day it would be great.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
What part of the plant does it come from?
The fruit. Traditionally dried, more recently as a standardized extract, to get the flavonoids and proanthocyanidins. Note that the studies showing cardiovascular benefit center on genus Crataegus, not the evergreen shrub genus Rhaphiolepis. Two different plants with the same common name.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have common hawthorn, Crataegus Monogyna. The small tree one that has leaves that kind of look like oak leaves. I didn't know that the fruit was edible or I'd have been using it. Just went and looked up all the uses. Says you can eat the young spring leaves in salads.

This all makes me happy because there are a lot of the old trees along the property line. The spacing says there used to be more. It's tolerant of our heavy, rocky, wet soil. Now when I run into a branch when mowing and cuss at them, I can think they are useful.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What I remember reading was that the leaves, bark and berries are all useful. My bottle says it's berries. I got the 510 mg on Amazon, but DH got a bottle of 585 mg at WalMart.

I just looked at the label on my bottle. It says to take 3 times daily! Oh har, once a day is good enough for me. It doesn't say what type of Hawthorn, or any info in that regard.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Lifestyle changes and natural remedies may help to control high blood pressure, but your doctor may also recommend medication to lower high blood pressure. It is important to work with your doctor, because untreated high blood pressure may damage organs in the body and increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, brain hemorrhage, kidney disease, and vision loss.

Before taking hawthorn, talk with your healthcare professional if you take any medications. It has major interactions with several prescription medications. ;)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
Lifestyle changes and natural remedies may help to control high blood pressure, but your doctor may also recommend medication to lower high blood pressure. It is important to work with your doctor, because untreated high blood pressure may damage organs in the body and increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, brain hemorrhage, kidney disease, and vision loss.

Before taking hawthorn, talk with your healthcare professional if you take any medications. It has major interactions with several prescription medications. ;)
I looked for interactions, didn't see anything that would pertain to me, thank goodness. And you're correct, untreated high blood pressure is serious stuff.

For myself, and strictly for me, I'd rather take the Hawthorn than the prescriptions. I still have the prescription medicine even though I am not taking it. My BP is lower with just the Hawthorn than what it is with the drugs, plus I don't have the side effects. Hawthorn is a common high blood pressure treatment in Europe.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It'd be good to let your doctor know that you are taking the hawthorn and the results, so that maybe MAYBE they could help someone else by suggesting they try it before synthetic means of control. I know my doctor would/will love to know how well it works. I love that she's so open minded about natural remedies :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lucky YOU! My newish doc is half way interested in homeopathic, but you know, they're all taught to tell us the same stuff.

I do have to schedule lab work, but unless she reads the note of what I'm taking (and not taking), I'm not going to spend an additional $120 just to visit with her.
Around here, they tend to fire you if you disagree with them or don't toe the traditional line. LOL

To each, their own. :D