Heads up on Wild Bill (Hurricane)

Greensage45

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey all,

I saw this article that was written by an AP (Associated Press) writer and is being picked up across the internet:

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record

WASHINGTON Steve Kramer spent an hour and a half swimming in the ocean Sunday in Maine. The water temperature was 72 degrees more like Ocean City, Md., this time of year. And Ocean City's water temp hit 88 degrees this week, toasty even by Miami Beach standards.

Kramer, 26, who lives in the seaside town of Scarborough, said it was the first time he's ever swam so long in Maine's coastal waters. "Usually, you're in five minutes and you're out," he said.

It's not just the ocean off the Northeast coast that is super-warm this summer. July was the hottest the world's oceans have been in almost 130 years of record-keeping.
I got to thinking how it was predicted that as Hurricane Bill sweeps up along the Eastern shoreline, that the colder waters would reduce it to a Cat 3 or even to a Cat 2; now it seems there is cause to say otherwise, and that this might even drive the monster into becoming a full blown problem.

At any rate, it is not my thought to fear-monger, as I have heard that there are even 'Alerts' going out in Nova Scotia, and they are scratching their heads too.

Be Careful out there, get some family discussions going just in case.

Ron

ps. I am sorry, here is a link to the full article written By SETH BORENSTEIN AP Science Writer 2009 The Associated Press
Aug. 20, 2009, 5:03PM http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/6580809.html

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
It's not just the ocean off the Northeast coast that is super-warm this summer. July was the hottest the world's oceans have been in almost 130 years of record-keeping.
Oh, so THAT'S where all our summer went: out to sea. Glad to know the heat went SOMEwhere. The Atlantic owes me a whole buncha tomatoes, and there are some corn farmers around here would like a talk with it... :p

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Oh, so THAT'S where all our summer went: out to sea. Glad to know the heat went SOMEwhere. The Atlantic owes me a whole buncha tomatoes, and there are some corn farmers around here would like a talk with it... :p
:lol:

No joke though about the ocean temps, and the hurricane. I know the Pacific was much warmer in our area this year too, which is why we got a lot hotter than normal here (the ocean is our natural AC).

Thanks, Greensage for the head's up. I hadn't heard that about the overall ocean temp.