Healthcare on a budget..anyone lowed cholestrol without Rx?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yup, when I got mine down by changing my diet I had eliminated all gluten containing foods, severely limited grains altogether, lowered my sugar intake, lowered my starch intake. I eat lots of eggs, uncured bacon, red meat (grass fed when I can get it and afford it) and yes, I dropped a good 40 points off my cholesterol, got my thyroid numbers back into the normal zone, AND lost 30 lbs! I eat whole dairy products too. Lots of cheese! Cream, whole milk, butter. No fake fat.

lynn1961

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Every try over the counter Niacin 500mg flush free a couple of times a day ? Also there is a website called needymeds.com you can get your meds from the companies that make them if you meet their guidelines.

Czechin_it_out

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Omega 3 is supposed to help lower it. You can do flax or fish oil for that.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Look on the label of the fish oil, too. If it has at least 250 mg of EPH and DHA, that's the good stuff. Some fish oils (like the one we got at WalMart) don't have any.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Look on the label of the fish oil, too. If it has at least 250 mg of EPH and DHA, that's the good stuff. Some fish oils (like the one we got at WalMart) don't have any.
1000 mg (combined DHA/EPA) is the minimum maintenance dose.....3000 mg or more if "treating" a health concern.

Flax oil will not do this. Fish oil will balance out the Omega III/Omega 6 imbalance that is so typical on a diet containing veg oils. Flax oil is already balanced, so it will not change an imbalance. It is also usually full of free-radicals by the time it lands on your plate, unless you are cold-pressing those seeds yourself, so the health benefits are over-hyped.

Fish oil can be very anti-inflammatory to people on the standard American diet. Get off that diet and you will soon reduce or even eliminate the lifestyle diseases that are so common today....diabetes, heart disease, digestive problems, obesity.

Seriously. It is MUCH cheaper to eat healthy, too, especially if you are even a teensy bit SS.