Heat and food safe glue?

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need to put the mount for a handle back on a pan lid. I'm thinking super glue. Food safe it probably is, but when heated, does it give off fumes? Or does anyone have a better suggestion.

My biggest frugality - fixing things instead of buying new. And when I buy, it's usually a garage sale, which may mean it will need fixed sooner rather than later.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glue should be used, in general, as a last resort.

Isn't there some other way? If it's totally broken, I'd even suggest drilling a hold and using a stainless bolt.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, some kinds of glue out-gas, but I doubt that it'd be a problem. Epoxy-type glues are the worst, I think. Cyanoacrylate just won't work. It won't be strong enough. Or maybe it will, if you really want it to and you baby the pot.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The plastic ridge that held the handle mount in the hole is totally gone on one side. I can use a fork to put it on and off, if that is safer, but the hole is almost 2 inches in diameter, so I lose a lot of steam when cooking. I may try the super glue if it is safe, just using it ON TOP of the lid, not inside, and see if I can limp it along. Between the pan lid, the washing machine (which I suspect is dead but have not had time to investigate - if it isn't the belt it's the transmission), and 2 trucks, I've got broken stuff.

I think I got a glass lid at a garage sale that might fit the pan, will check, but I don't throw anything away that I can fix. And if the glass one gets broken, that I cannot fix. Thank you.

Latest posts