Heating with wood

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How do you propose we heat the water?

Wood heat is the most sustainable where I live. I plan on burning fir and alder as my main supply. I have trees growing now for the future to replace what we cut now. That also offsets the pollution from burning. We have a very efficient stove and keep it on the cool side in the house. We use a cord and a half during a cold year.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Only one comment, Where is your air supply coming from? If you are using inside air the heated air is going up the pipe which is bad enough but it has to be replaced by sucking cold air into the house whereever there is a leak. We pipe in outside aiir to feed the stove and furnance. One advantage is that the air itself is dryer the other is the whole house is not sucking in outside air. It also cuts the carbon monoxide danger considerabllly. We used to draw air from our basement root celler where we had a vent to let in cold air but finally figured out that it was drying out the things stored there.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Regulations here require air to underneath the stove from a crawl space with the required amount of vents or 4 inch pipe to the outside. Wall vents aren't allowed anymore. We learned all about that when we got this stove.